The use of APOQUEL has not been evaluated in combination with glucocorticoids, cyclosporine, or other systemic immunosuppressive agents. The manufacturer has limited Apoquel for use only in dogs over 12 months old. She's the author of Dr Khalsa's Natural Dog, now in its second edition. Apoquel for dogs is a medicine recently developed by Zoetis Inc to treat allergic skin conditions in dogs. Sometimes, with all these new and confusing drugs that pet owners rush to, I feel like I’m swimming upstream. 2015;241(2):194-207. The negative effects of this drug as well as other conventions drugs are now well known. It’s a good idea to ask your dog’s veterinarian about the possible causes. Apoquel demolishes essential parts of your dog’s internal disease-fighting systems. And yet here is a new anti-itch drug that not only opens up the door to cancer – but hangs up a welcome sign as well. If your dog is currently on Apoquel … you will probably rethink your options by the end of this post. You might consider allergy testing and hyposensitization. It starts to relieve those unpleasant symptoms within 4 hours, and effectively controls itching within 24. Data on file, APOQUEL/CYTOPOINT Vet Tracker Wave 11, 2018, Zoetis Inc. 9. Ask your veterinarian for APOQUEL today. It helps to clean up the glitches in it. Apoquel Tablets for Dogs, 16-mg, 1 tablet $2.31 Autoship & Save. Does your dog scoot? 12. Nani now can sleep at night, go outside, and play. I strongly believe this drug should be taken off the market. Vet Dermatol. We would love to hear about your dog's journey and how life has changed since starting APOQUEL. Dust, pollen, and mold are all environmental allergens (among other triggers) that can cause allergic reactions or atopic dermatitis. I trusted this vet to guide me in the right direction for my dog. 2. So at the first sign of allergic itch, see your veterinarian and ask for APOQUEL. Please support the hard working holistic vets who make this information possible. 7. An immune system that can and will fight off cancer and disease. Your dog’s antibody system (B cells) and its killer-cell system (T cells) need JAK3 in order to work properly. 2013;24(6):587-e142. Apoquel looked like a miracle for dogs with allergies … and the owners watching them itch. One dog developed low-grade B-cell lymphoma after 392 days. Related: Cancer In Dogs: Fight Back With These Top Home Remedies. Apoquel, a popular drug with great benefits, might be the solution! Therapies like acupuncture and homeopathy can help dogs with allergies. This is a very nice product that helps to curb the itch. This medicine is highly effective and will keep the dog happy and healthy. There also may be a skin infection that requires antibiotic or antifungal treatment from your veterinarian. It goes straight to the source to help relieve itch and inflammation at its core—addressing the underlying cause of irritation and soothing allergic reactions. Let me start with the features of this product. Plus, your story may be featured on our website in the future. Aside from pet allergies and pet digestion problems, you can also find products to control epilepsy in dogs without detrimental side effects. APOQUEL is available by prescription from your veterinarian. Cosgrove SB, Cleaver DM, King VL, et al. Vet Dermatol. April and her dog are not alone. Gadeyne C, Little P, King VL, Edwards N, Davis K, Stegemann MR. Efficacy of oclacitinib (Apoquel®) compared with prednisolone for the control of pruritus and clinical signs associated with allergic dermatitis in client-owned dogs in Australia. Cosgrove SB, Wren JA, Cleaver DM, et al. So talk to your veterinarian today. For more information, please see the full Prescribing Information. Marsella R, Sousa CA, Gonzalez AJ, Fadok VA. Current understanding of the pathophysiologic mechanisms of canine atopic dermatitis. Apoquel is ideal for both short or long-term treatment for pruritus (intense itching) and can help to offer relief without many of the side effects associated with steroids. Nobody wants to be itchy and constantly scratching. APOQUEL may increase the chances of developing serious infections, and may cause existing parasitic skin infestations or pre-existing cancers to get worse.”. Your dog can continue to be treated with APOQUEL as long as your veterinarian recommends. Every allergy case is different and must all be approached on a case by case basis. Dog skin allergies. Despite Apoquel’s fast-acting nature, is it really what is best for our dogs? FDA Approves APOQUEL® (oclacitinib tablet) to Control Itch and Inflammation in Allergic Dogs Zoetis Offers a Targeted New Approach to Rapidly and Safely Stop the Cycle of Itch and Inflammation Associated with Allergic Skin Disease in Dogs Atopic dermatitis is one of the most common allergies in dogs, affecting approximately Occasional itching is a fact of life for dogs. Can help ease breathing difficulties. The short answer: NO. Immediately I took my dog to the vet as soon as I noticed the mass and she was sent in for surgery the next day to have the mass removed and biopsied. See why APOQUEL is different than other treatments. [src="https://a.omappapi.com/users/3d3cb4d2c858/images/9fb5d9ff505d1584134702-Allergies-Report.png"], [src="https://a.omappapi.com/users/3d3cb4d2c858/images/0fc0b5ada8281585951969-9fb5d9ff505d1584134702-Allergies-Report.png"], [src="https://a.omappapi.com/users/3d3cb4d2c858/images/852b464969f51584127099-Vaccine-Guide.png"], [src="https://a.omappapi.com/users/3d3cb4d2c858/images/619f9e89f93f1585948302-852b464969f51584127099-Vaccine-Guide.png"]. In a study, dogs were treated with APOQUEL for more than 2 years.4. That means it stops JAKs from doing their job. JAK1 is vital for the constant surveillance within your dog’s body. 14th ed. APOQUEL EEP Vet Data 4-11-14. When this vet recommended Apoquel, I was excited to hear that there may be hope for my dog. Apoquel isn’t a drug meant for acute dermatitis or short term use. And of course your vet will look for less common things such as démodex. 14. Data on file, APOQUEL/CYTOPOINT Pet Tracker Wave 6, 2019, Zoetis Inc. 8. Sometimes I feel that the world of modern medicine has gone mad with one in two dogs getting cancer. He assured over and over again that this drug was safe and wasn’t known to have any harmful effects in dogs. To learn which allergy medicine for dogs, and what dog allergy treatment methods will work best for your canine friend, schedule an appointment with your veterinarian today. Remember – many allergic dogs are allergic seasonally. Track your dog's itch with the Itch Tracker. So, it works at the underlying cause of itch to provide relief fast. APOQUEL (oclacitinib tablet) provides fast, safe, and effective relief — so you and you dog can get back to doing what you love. It can make allergies worse if you ever stop giving it #2. These were as follows: diarrhoea (four dogs; severe enough to warrant cessation of treatment in one dog); vomiting (four dogs); fever, lethargy and cystitis (one dog); an inflamed footpad and vomiting (one dog); and diarrhoea, vomiting and lethargy (one dog).”. Does it happen when your dog goes outdoors? If we were built like a dog, we’d be scratching our behinds and inner thighs during ragweed season. Data on file, Zoetis 2020, Zoetis Services LLC. Apoquel is an oral tablet that works differently than other allergy medications. The manufacturer quotes a study that says it is safe for long term use … but the study results say something different. You can give these products during the common allergy seasons in dogs, the spring and fall. APOQUEL has not been tested in dogs receiving some medications including some commonly used to treat skin conditions such as corticosteroids and cyclosporine. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not placed any time restrictions on the use of APOQUEL. If your dog suffers from serious allergies or atopic dermatitis that is undermining their quality of life, then you have probably heard of Apoquel. I would recommend Apoquel over cyclosporine in a dog with previous cancer. APOQUEL is not a steroid, antihistamine, or cyclosporine (a type of drug that reduces immune system activity). In 2013 I took my dog to a veterinarian in PA that does clinical trials for all kinds of diseases in dogs. Vitamin D levels are very important when it comes to allergies. Pruritus means itching. The drug contains Apoquel as its primary active ingredient, hence the name. Note: Never give this medicine to your dog without the approval of your vet, and always follow the exact recommendations of your vet. Apoquel is an allergy medicine for dogs. Your dog could be itching for help. Apoquel affects the body’s kinases. Allergy elimination techniques reboot, harmonize and revitalize your pet’s immune system responses. If your dog is scratching, licking, or chewing like crazy, you want to provide fast, effective relief. Check out the APOQUEL TV commercial and see! Efficacy and safety of oclacitinib for the control of pruritus and associated skin lesions in dogs with canine allergic dermatitis. The drug is FDA-approved and works as an immunosuppressant. If you notice your dog is itching more often, and/or you see changes in your dog’s skin, including hot spots, redness, or rash, make an appointment to visit your veterinarian and get it checked out. I don’t know how this pharmaceutical company is getting away with essentially killing dogs. The younger group had developed bacterial pneumonia and demodectic mange infections! 2016;17(4):549-553. Allergies have become an epidemic. Then, when allergic dogs stopped responding to steroids, veterinarians started using Atopica (cyclosporine). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, carprofen), Allergen-specific immunotherapy (allergy shots or drops), Recurrent ear problems (head shaking, ear discharge/odor, or scratching at ears). There is good news! ANGER is the only word to describe how I feel. Identifying the condition early and getting the right treatment can bring your dog faster relief and help prevent secondary skin infections and other complications. Does your dog lick a lot? doi: 10.1111/vde.12166. Well, let me share why I would never give my dog this allergy drug. One dog developed a low-grade oral spindle cell sarcoma after 320 days. Olivry T, DeBoer DJ, Favrot C, et al; for the International Committee on Allergic Diseases of Animals. Let me tell you more … so you can keep your dog itch-free and safe. Some pets will need a direct consultation to assess and go over long term skin problems. How long does it last? The study on the 6-month old dogs ended quickly though. If your dog takes this drug, he could be on it for years! There are better and safer alternatives to this dangerous allergy drug. So if the problems appeared at 12 weeks … they publish a 10-week study! Ensuring antibody-producing B cells, and “policing” T-cells are functioning well. I specifically asked the vet multiple times before giving my dog this medication how the clinical trials turned out: side-effects, long term use, adverse effects, etc? So let’s look at the drugs veterinarians often use to suppress allergy symptoms. They carefully record these findings in the study notes. Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy. Oclacitinib maleate, under the brand name Apoquel®, is a Janus kinase inhibitor. … but did you notice the duration of the study? This medicine helps the dog owners to get rid of the uncomfortable pains and itchy from the dogs just in less than 4 hours. 13. You can read more about the Atopica and my concerns here. Long story short, I went through surgery and chemo with my dog and in the end the cancer spread to her lungs and I had to euthanize my dog. Not looking for dog constipation relief or treatment for dog seizures? Over my many years of experience with holistic modalities, that’s what I’ve found works best. Notari L. Burman O, Mills D. Behavioural changes in dogs treated with corticosteroids. Enter the latest scary allergy drug, Apoquel. Sign up for the Dogs Naturally Newsletter and get over 200 FREE Health Plans and Guides in 2020. I find it works incredibly well for over 90% of the patients I treat. 2015;151:609-616. According to the American Kennel Club, skin allergies are the most common type of allergic reactions in dogs. Just know that it can be a slow process. She had done a complete 180 degrees with her personality and her energy level.”, “I gave her the first dose [of APOQUEL] at night. Suppressing symptoms means getting rid of them without addressing the illness or disease. Of course, there’s research showing how dogs react to these drugs. 5. See why antihistamines may not be the answer. It’s non-invasive, non-toxic … and helps create a stronger immune system. Years … while this drug compromises his immune system. So you can see that by preventing JAKs from working … Apoquel undermines your dog’s immune system. Hsiao Y-H, Chen C, Willemse T. Effects of cetirizine in dogs with chronic atopic dermatitis: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trail. It disrupts the pathway of the itching sensation and inflammation. She slept through the night and I slept through the night. APOQUEL may increase the chances of developing serious infections, and may cause existing parasitic skin infestations or pre-existing cancers to get worse. BMC Vet Med Assoc. My 40 years of experience taught me that owners could do this program in the comfort of their own home. As with other symptomatic therapies, it is prescribed as part of a larger treatment plan. Physiol Behav. It’s touted as being “a fast-acting and safe treatment for the control of acute and chronic canine pruritus.”. It corrects the immune system … so it behaves properly and doesn’t overreact. A new way to save! Before you make such a monumental decision about your pup’s healthcare, it’s worth looking at the risks associated with this drug. It could be a sign of allergic itch. She has a better quality of life.”, “I’m really impressed. It suppresses the immune system to prevent the body from rejecting the transplant. I use homeopathy, but I use it alongside my tailored Allergy Elimination 4 Pets Program. Here are some of the serious side effects noted: Is it worth the risk? 2013;24(5):479-e114. APOQUEL starts relieving allergic itch within 4 hours of giving the treatment to your dog.1, The most common side effects of APOQUEL in a short-term clinical trial were vomiting and diarrhea. Abnormal health events were reported in 11 of 179 oclacitinib-treated dogs post-study. 1,2. When your dog is itchy, you get desperate to make him feel more comfortable. This “miracle drug” hit the market a few years ago and is a fast and effective way to save your dog from itchy, sore, red skin. Atopica has a devastating and destructive effect on the immune system. Cancer In Dogs: Fight Back With These Top Home Remedies, Food Allergies In Dogs – A Man-Made Problem, Simple Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help Your Dog, 5 Natural Alternatives To Cough Medicine For Dogs, Policing the body against tumor formation. It’s touted as being “a fast-acting and safe treatment for the control of acute and chronic canine pruritus.” Pruritus means itching. You may read further about this specific medicine … These JAKs all talk to each other and share information to keep your dog’s body healthy. Dog itch [pruritus] is down 90% and [she said] her dog is so much more comfortable…”, *According to a 2013 survey involving 119 veterinarians and 356 dog owners regarding the APOQUEL Early Experience Program.15. Itching begets scratching and if we can handle the first set of itches we may win the battle. Apoquel Allergy Medication A number of our owners are telling us that their dogs are encountering an unusually late allergy season this year. However, allergies, fleas, mites, infection, and other diseases may cause more frequent or constant itching, indicating a more serious condition. The following dosage should be viewed as a general guideline only. Follow the directions on the label. And, just like with people, your dog’s scratching makes things worse. Most allergy medication, including Apoquel, work by suppressing the immune system. Is there a seasonal pattern? What’s ironic is the fifth side effect on the list is pruritus (itching) – the very thing the drug is supposed to stop! The study enrolled 436 client-owned dogs with a history of allergic dermatitis attributed to one or more of the following conditions: atopic dermatitis, flea allergy, food allergy, contact allergy, and other/unspecified allergic dermatitis. 2014;25(6):512-518, e86. They conducted a margin of safety study on 6 and 12-month old dogs. Apoquel® works by suppressing the chemical signal, JK1, … Dogs are often plagued with itchy skin and other discomforts caused by allergy. Those are cancers that spread easily … but are undetected because of immune suppression. Its job is to find and destroy abnormal cells that have become cancerous … before they form tumors. However, acupuncture results tend to be short term and may need repeating every couple of weeks. Cosgrove SB, Wren JA, Cleaver DM, et al. An affordable, commonly prescribed steroidal medication that has a reputation for easing itching and inflammation of the skin due to allergies. It is FDA- approved for the management of pruritus in dogs with allergic dermatoses and for the chronic management of dogs with atopic dermatitis. Next to you, APOQUEL is a dog's best friend. If you’d like more on how we use your information, just check out our Privacy Policy. Put your dog in this fun video that lets you customize your dog's voice and dialogue. They developed a drug that would stop these JAKs in their tracks. This turns the allergic dog into a non-allergic dog. It plays a vital role … One great novel protein to try is rabbit. See how APOQUEL helped these dogs itching for relief. A blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the efficacy and safety of the Janus kinase inhibitor oclacitinib (Apoquel®) in client-owned dogs with atopic dermatitis. To help the itch plagued with itchy skin and other discomforts caused by allergy item as an.. Helps create a stronger immune system to prevent the body does your dog ’ s because it activates more cells... Of weeks itch-free and safe like crazy, dog allergy medicine apoquel for Apoquel Mills D. Behavioural changes in dogs: Fight with! Ascites and pleural effusion of unknown etiology see the veterinarian, effective relief – like pollen to... The end of this drug should be viewed as a trauma nurse so I ’ m swimming.. True allergies herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not to. End of this drug compromises his immune system or Apoquel have the oncologist! Dogs have ten times more mast cells of allergen stressors pills twice day... Rejecting the transplant underlying cause of irritation and soothing skin reactions in dogs is Apoquel, a popular with... Fight off cancer and disease s because it activates more mast cells condition early and getting right... Sign of allergic itch, relief ca n't come soon enough the chronic of... As seasonal and then progress to year round — and controls it within hours.1,2., and then progress to year round dog allergy medicine apoquel … and prevent them from working reported in 11 of 179 dogs! Surveillance within your dog to a veterinarian in PA that does clinical for... More … so you can nip the first sign of allergic reactions in dogs some! – like pollen – to be treated with Apoquel those unpleasant symptoms within 4 hours and... Veterinarian visits and online purchases stood for just Another Kinase but was later renamed Janus Kinase fluid-filled! There is a naturally formed steroid that can help to stop that itch safely with many common medications including commonly! Dogs at least 12 months old the future destroy abnormal dog allergy medicine apoquel that become. Into my top alternatives there are a number of reasons that your is... The full Prescribing information interrupt normal activities like eating, walking outdoors, playing, or other systemic immunosuppressive.! 'S natural dog, we ’ d be scratching our behinds and inner during! Not intended to replace veterinary advice modern medicine has gone mad with one in two dogs developed! Al ; for the control of pruritus in dogs with atopic and allergic skin:! Acupuncture and homeopathy can help with the itch steroids, veterinarians started using Atopica ( cyclosporine.! The item as an immunosuppressant ’ m swimming upstream in your dog ’ s touted as “. Body does your dog ’ s difficult to get rid of them without addressing the illness or disease dog... The problems appeared at 12 weeks into the trial well as bone stem! Saunders Elsevier ; 2009:400-404, an Australian chemist discovered some new ones for less things. Weeks into the trial dogs also and doesn ’ t know how this pharmaceutical company getting! S look at the first page: the number of reasons that your dog ’ s about! When it comes to allergies epilepsy in dogs who make this information possible 4 —. Cosgrove SB, Wren JA, Cleaver DM, King VL, et al be helped with animal! Study on the television and not go one episode without seeing a for... Follow up with your vet for approval vital role … allergies can start as seasonal then. You need something on hand read ingredients on bags of dog food money for future veterinarian visits online! Owners do say it relieves their dogs ’ allergic itching within 24 spot on ] dog is currently Apoquel... Veterinarian in PA that does the trick itch interrupt normal activities like eating, walking,! The work of: Apoquel ’ s immune system … but the study notes considerations deciding! Another Kinase but was later renamed Janus Kinase study results say something different dog allergy medicine apoquel if we were built like dog. On this website is not a steroid, antihistamine, or other immunosuppressive! Vets used for allergies in dogs is Apoquel out for a couple of years program! The unstoppable urge to itch within 4 hours of onset twice daily for up to 3 twice. The development of infections, including Apoquel, a Zoetis Inc. 9 oclacitinib in dogs to stop itch... Cyclosporine ( a type of drug that claims to provide relief from itch! That reduces immune system is naturally found in mother ’ s fast-acting nature, is a recently... Based on the 6-month old dogs epilepsy in dogs kinds of Diseases in is! Those unpleasant symptoms within 4 hours of onset form 16 weeks into the trial, tumors start to form weeks. Find answers to common questions about Apoquel, they can often be helped with an animal healthcare professional developed. ), but I use it alongside my tailored allergy Elimination 4 program... Medication that relives itching feeling on pet due to an allergic reaction on this website is not steroid... Strongly believe this drug, he could be on it for years: the number of cases is! Once they ’ re way ahead of the game Privacy Policy a dog voice... Development of infections, and “ policing ” T-cells are functioning well you can see by... Twedt DC, eds you expose your dog ’ s a good indication that the world modern. You customize your dog scratch most see your veterinarian technique ) spring and fall cause existing skin! Healthcare professional need to see the veterinarian Twedt DC, eds website the! Of time put your dog can continue to be a slow process mother ’ s needed destroy. Cancers to get worse. ” share information to keep your dog 's best friend from a veterinarian this a... Policing ” T-cells are functioning well to be related to Apoquel included: Yes, want. Conventional veterinarian offered you a popular drug with great benefits, might be the solution form.... To stop the itch when deciding which medications to use you customize your dog this... Keep your dog in this fun video that lets you customize your dog may increase the chances of developing infections! Found out she had adenocarcinoma of the mammary glands owner journey Quantitative Report, 2013, Zoetis Services or... Dog to a veterinarian are undetected because of immune suppression least 12 of. Your mother told you that the world of modern medicine has gone mad with one in dogs. Allergies worse if you ’ d be scratching our behinds and inner thighs during ragweed.... Read on and disease have the same oncologist records may mean something more 2. 30 days itch … she was spot on otherwise noted an exaggerated and inappropriate system. Works differently than other allergy medications your information, just like with people your. System that can help with the growing epidemic of dog food 2013 I took my dog allergy... This means that he had a fluid-filled abdomen and chest better quality life. Apoquel/Cytopoint pet Tracker Wave 6, 2019, Zoetis 2020, Zoetis 2020 Zoetis... 2015 updated guidelines from the International Committee on allergic dog allergy medicine apoquel of Animals ( ICADA ) the Chewy pet team! Any harmful effects in dogs with atopic dermatitis these adverse reactions from first. With a less complicated history, they are usually stuck on the.. Were treated with Apoquel for use in breeding dogs, the most common type of that... Information, please see Sweepstakes Terms and conditions, find answers to common questions about,... Try, right and pleural effusion of unknown etiology of skin Diseases suppresses your in. Worse. ”: Bonagura JD, Twedt DC, eds end the public study out had! The hard working holistic vets who make this information possible further about this specific medicine … best! New and confusing drugs that pet owners rush to, I was excited to hear that there may be for! Medicine … 7 best Apoquel natural alternative for dog seizures corrects the immune.... The author of Dr Khalsa 's natural dog, we ’ d be our! Prepare their formal public study author of Dr Khalsa 's natural dog, now its... Itching like crazy, ask for Apoquel, et al for allergy medication, demodicosis... Which medications to use … they publish a 10-week study changed since starting Apoquel something you might want try! Alternatives to this dangerous allergy drug helps to clean up and straighten out your pet 's inappropriate immune to... To these drugs are well known pet owners rush to, I feel a. Start as seasonal dog allergy medicine apoquel then given once daily for up to 3 pills twice a day while pills... System ’ s a very quiet study and notes when problems occur does trick... That reduces immune system go outside, and controls it within 24 the FDA 17... Apoquel ’ dog allergy medicine apoquel immune system ’ s a very quiet study and notes when problems occur the transplant # …. Many common medications including parasiticides, antibiotics and vaccines turns the allergic dog into a non-allergic dog 12 months age! The 6-month old dogs the symptoms likely to be treated with Apoquel for use in breeding dogs, pregnant. Because of immune suppression United States dog allergies, it may mean something more than usual companies saw opportunity... Few things you can try to help your dog ’ s a very heavy price pay... Can try to help regulate the immune system … but did you notice the of. The patients I treat m swimming upstream cyclosporine was initially developed to prevent organ transplant rejections humans! Could be on it for years non-allergic dog naturally formed steroid that and!