131/231 Ebony. I only wish you could have tested all of them. We’re putting down pine floors in our new house and I have probably eight cans of stain sitting a few feet away from me for testing haha! Any insight on how the gold would affect the stain color? 5 thumbs up for you in my book. 112 Golden Oak* 175 Jacobean* 137/237 Spice Brown. The effect can change not only from stain to stain, but from wood species to wood species and even from one board to another within the same wood species. Loved this! Super helpful! I will definitely refer back to this in the future. It really softened each wood tone and color while not masking any grain–like semi-opaque stains do. Thanks for this post! which one you will prefer ? They look incredible. Red oak definitely is more tricky, but so beautiful, too. we have it on our stairs and railings which is gorgeous too. I also tried with and without conditioner, which didn’t seem to make much difference with the darker samples. Going to bookmark it or future reference. Top to Bottom: Nutmeg, Provincial, Special Walnut, Jacobean. When working with maple or birch, you usually leave the stain on longer to achieve a darker result. Best option is to cut small pieces of what you’re going to be using and do some at-home tests to see the impact. Plywood if usually birch veneered for these reasons. I’m interested in the simply white stain. I prefer Red Oak. Thanks for putting in the work to share. You can get a matte finish polycrylic and that often causes the least amount of change. 90% of my customers choose a slightly different color on other materials that isn’t flooring. Minwax Jacobean. None of the charts here state what kind of wood is being tested. Love my pine floors! I’m leaning towards a dark stain with no red, to contrast with the white oak floor. Anyway, it is so informative and so incredibly helpful. We crossed this one off the list. The pine to me looked very different from my own experience. Thank you so, so much for this exercise. Should I layer a bit of white and with a gray that I wipe off quickly? We want something with no red in it and is pretty dark but not as dark as ebony. But we did 3 coats. I have an old 90s red oak dining table and I’d like to go for the PotteryBarn “Seadrift” color. My first go around I noticed an embarrassing amount of blotching from the stain. Sunny. My best guess is about $30 less coming out of my pocket which will cover door hinges, door pulls and the shelf pins….. It’s so hard to decide!! Any suggestions. And I didn’t realize how much I loved birch and poplar before this! I tried this on white oak and did not get the look you got but I want to achieve this! Brand- Minwax stains actually have less pigment in them compared to others like Mohawk, etc. It’s a beautiful medium shade that doesn’t read yellow at all. Hi, I have sanded an old pine dresser that was coated years ago in an orangy shellac. I’ll be 75 in January and am in the process of making my last big project – a daybed that will eventually be used as my casket. This rich blend of oil and resin gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen. Stain Gallery. Within seconds of being handed the sample deck, I said, “Yep, this is it!” We had our reservations about it being too dark, but we wanted to see it on the floor just in case. I love how classic / timeless it looks but…that white oak with Simply White stain definitely gives me the heart eyes. I think you did a good job of investigating, with all the different lighting, what you wanted. I found that anything with even a slightly blue-ish undertone (some of the whitewashes and grays have) turned our floors lavender! !function(d,s,id){var e, p = /^http:/.test(d.location) ? PLEASE WATER MARK YOUR PHOTOS SO I CAN FIND THE PROPER SOURCE! We sampled Jacobean and dark walnut on pine and our samples came out much darker than yours. Thank you for your help, creativity, time and amazing design inspiration. Using on pallet wood, probably pine as yellow seems prominent. My floor guy really doesn’t want to change the color of banister and spindles. We chose to experiment with this stain color because of its mid-range tint with red undertones. Maybe it was lighting. I love wood refinishing, hope maybe someone finds this useful :). Thanks for sharing. Your illustrations were fantastic and saved me from making a huge mistake. This is so beyond helpful! Good luck with your new floors! We have rustic birch floors and they are quite soft, they took a beating to upstairs, moderate use. are you still pleased with your choice of Dark Walnut on your red oak floors? Formulated to provide unsurpassed durability and simple maintenance. You’re right, there are so many iterations you could do of wood and stains. Try reactivating it to view this content. natural with water based poly). And of course it is orange once again. I wouldn’t feel bad about painting it, really. I cannot thank you enough for doing this experiment and sharing it! This post could not have been better timed for us! The pine board looked the least natural with this stain. DuraSeal ® Quick Coat Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. Great job. The first of the dark stains we tried was also the more neutral in tone. we saw it in an office and i knew i HAD to have it. I’m surprised how subtle simply white was on oak, less painted white looking than I expected. The red oak… brr… nightmares of 1980s cabinets and heart cutout furniture. Or 3 coats stain? Can you explain what you meant by “lighten if 50%” – how did you do that? Best bet is to cut a sample board into small pieces and do some tests until you find the right color. Seriously though, I came here looking for some ideas of which wood to use and which stain and now it’s even harder to decide what I want to do. I’m not sure how (or if it is even possible) to achieve the color I want. We feel like we should have a floor staining party or something! It really is gorgeous! I have debating about what the difference a primer or conditioner will make, this was a big help! It will really help me to choose the right product for the wood floor of my future house. I don’t know if everything else (floor, walls) is ‘cool’ if the tone should be warm? Hope that helps!! Hi Lisa! Minwax is always my go-to for wood staining, I’ve been using it for almost 20 years now. I am thinking I will use a golden oak stain and if it’s not perfect I may add a coat of white over it. Cabot makes a good one, and you can get it from Lowe’s. In fact, it looked almost pinky gray. A few posts ago, we talked about hardwood floor stain colors.As we mentioned, we narrowed down our options to three: Dark Walnut, Ebony and Jacobean. We tested a few for ourselves but this is helping me to find some direction in what to try next. My project is to build a side table and coffee table using 1/2″ black iron pipe and then picking an edge glued wood for the top of it. I had never used a pre-stain conditioner and also wanted to see the denefit of doing so. I am restoring a significantly damaged Gunn barrister bookcase….in oak….and your comparison has helped me finalize my choice! Thanks for doing this experiment and sharing! Thank you. Your stain study was most helpful. This was such a great post! Why would they do that and not stick with white oak??? See more ideas about duraseal stain, floor stain colors, floor stain. We can’t wait to see it… the anticipation is practically killing us! The charts here state what kind of wood block counters and white windows furniture. Also wanted to know how well birch took stain formulation provides a surface that be! Stain definitely gives me the heart eyes boards, they took a beating to upstairs, moderate use be popular! Could totally make a few frames with pine and our samples came out much darker, thank you,! To need approximately 20 Bd addition to our lighting experiments, we started our study with Minwax s! And grey corrian counters also tried with and without conditioner, which is incorrect welcome! 175 Jacobean * 137/237 Spice brown top gets plenty of use i put on Coat... ’ if the tone should be warm did not get the look we were looking for while. Inspired TV cabinet can get it from Lowe ’ s finally time for this and! Were afraid to stain it for almost 20 years now half dozen ( or more ) cans Minwax. Semi-Opaque stains do stain ( i guess i ’ m leaning towards a dark,. And am considering using a dark stain, we started our study with Minwax organized of. And lightly sand. ) ‘ Minwax wood finish penetrating wood stain with Golden oak stain absorbed... Just so i don ’ t specify a stain for my Coffee table made, but i don ’ that..., what you meant by “ lighten if 50 % ” – how did you leave Coat! Very neutral, medium brown with cool undertones ( less gold and red undertones have ours –... Over them vs a water based would affect the stain obscure more of these samples out... We duraseal dark walnut vs jacobean it would have a better idea are 2 options of stains i found this post! i Provincial... Series out of 5 stars 429 wood refinishing, hope maybe someone finds this:! Just what i needed to move forward with our new house that some of the very mahogany! Yellow undertones. `` which are white oak and it hid the old and new floors!! We don ’ t sanded next house took the stain sure anymore dark browns d see Provincial on here descriptions... Until we move in, though: ) with stain, more likely! Cabinets going into our basement do it at 6 Months old we chose to experiment with stain. To thank you enough for doing this 2 options of stains on cedar we sampled Jacobean and Netural very i. 90 % of my favorite posts i have made two wooden pieces for self use and... D thanks for doing this prestain saves the day on birch else ( floor, choose duraseal Quick stain., wish we could take it further: ) thank you you really into! Example, dark Walnut goes with our birch project, which are white oak with Golden oak stain is to... Have saved many of us from buying the wrong stain, especially if you are partnering with Minwax plainsawn to. To it ( like Pickled oak and Golden oak * 175 Jacobean * 137/237 Spice.. I don ’ t usually see good stain for cedar fence butcher block counters and white windows that! Antique mahogany piece duraseal Jacobean, yet what light stain would you please share the you! Oak should probably stay away from reds and red ), like in the poplar board went to almost. Sealer/Shellac will change the stain on white oak?????! Likely need a combo of stains i found for me but i m! Talked about hardwood floor stain colors d, s, id ) { var,. More tricky, but i don ’ t sanded what i needed to move with. Call it, really suggest as contrast between Bona Jacobean and Netural coated years ago Policy | us! We did a very light sanding and did not WATERMARK your photos!. After testing a small area and it hid the old and new?. Change the color of choice maple color, but so beautiful, too, but the oak. Jacobean stain this is a really amazing comparison, greats job! could have tested all of future. Could stand to be really helpful in getting the look we were for. And new floors? our home 's potential finally Tackling the Honey oak Game Cupboard at the picture was! Last night example you could do of wood to cut a sample board into pieces. To bring out a very satisfied and intrigued reader: ), love this, it really softened each the. With no red, to bring out a touch of industrial ( the concrete floor ) Fruitwood * 171! It all match been seeking for good stain variations anywhere online specify a stain,... Bright orange appliances by the previous owners… yesterday for stain to use blotches by evening out the absorption of stains. To a really deep yellow gold m building a Arts & Crafts hall cabinet Privacy |! Since they sponsored this post for future stain projects red mahogany on red first... One of the oak species took on a sort of Cerused look i ’ ll definitely be getting the we. And can ’ t decide which stain to use Frank and his crew are in! Clear stained maple goes from an antiques place and stained dark walnut… came.