We have a really old toilet in one of our bathrooms which has started to leak around the tank bolts. The design isn’t that great. Toilet Forum discussions: TOTO WT153M DuoFit In-Wall Toilet Tank - washlet outlet cap jammed: Dec 17, 2020: Toilet Forum discussions: Air flow in toilet tank: Dec 8, 2020: Toilet Forum discussions: Mansfield Toilet Tank Question: Nov 14, 2020: Toilet Forum discussions: Side inlet fill valve on high tank toilet running: Sep 13, 2020 Rusting toilet tank bolts can be surprising. Scrub stubborn stains with a brush or sponge. Either you didn’t realize it, or you noticed a drip which caused you to look at them. Then, replace the washers and nut on the second bolt in the same order. I checked the other two toilets in the house and they’re more normal. There is a little gap between the bowl and tank even when the bolts are tightened down so not sure why that is. How to Remove Rust From the Inside of a Toilet Tank. And with the corrosion comes a brittle cake-like brown cap that sits on the bolt head. You and your helper can now raise the toilet tank back over the toilet bowl housing and reseat the bolts and central tank … Underneath all of that rust are the heads of the tank bolts. I have replaced them twice; I see no water leaking what so ever or smell. Either you didn’t realize it, or you noticed a drip which caused you to look at them. Kohler toilets, the heads of the 3 brass bolts that hold the tank to the toilet are corroding badly. Repeat until the stains are gone. To keep life simpler in the future, here are some steps to keep the tank in a better state of cleanliness day in and day out.. Keep the brush wet; have a bucket of warm water handy. I was going to replace the bolts and washers but the nuts are completely seized and rusted to the bolts. Let the CLR solution soak for about 2 minutes before rinsing and flushing. Probably a product of ... Why I am curious is that it ain't rust. Start by draining the tank. The bolts that hold the toilet bowl base in the floor keep rusting away on me. Step 6 - Reattach the Tank and Refill. CLR is an effective product for cleaning the toilet tank. Thought about buying new washers and bolts for it, but also just tempted to flex seal around the bolt heads and be done with it. Add a new metal washer to secure the tank to the toilet bowl housing. Sometimes during a quick adjustment, you lift the lid of the toilet tank and you see two giant balls of rust. Due to placement I can only get about a 1" draw on a hack saw (which doesn't really cut well) so I can't easily cut them that way. Underneath all of that rust are the heads of the tank bolts. Rusting toilet tank bolts can be surprising. When you have loosened the rust and hard water build-up, rinse the area with water. Apply CLR to the sides and bottom of the toilet tank. Spray CLR directly onto rust stains and mineral deposits. Scrub all areas inside the toilet tank, including the bottom of the tank and all toilet components. Many homeowners across the United States battle against hard water in their plumbing … Sometimes during a quick adjustment, you lift the lid of the toilet tank and you see two giant balls of rust. KEEPING THE TOILET TANK CLEAN.