Let's get started! In the Layers panel, click the "Background" layer. Hope this helps. So you'll have to learn how to select an image, remove the background, and smooth the hard edges of that selection to make the image look more natural. There are many ways to “smooth” images in Photoshop. Blur filters can be used to soften an area of a photograph or an entire image, as well as for smoothing transitions. Pictures with a uniform background are perfect for practising with the Refine Edge tool.. Keep away from images with busy backgrounds until you’ve got the hang of it.. I’ll use this photo to photoshop the smooth edges of the girl and remove the background. If you feather a selection (blur its edges) instead, you create a natural-looking transition between the selection and the background of the image.. To feather an image, follow these steps: Create a selection. To start, we’ll apply a simple sharpening to the image. Sharpen the edges of a portrait without sharpening the skin. You can go to the eraser palette and go to the regular round erasers and decrease the hardness, making it smooth all around the edges of the eraser. The feather allows for 2 passes. Understanding How to Smooth Edges in Photoshop or How to Feather Edges in Photoshop. First, open your image Photoshop by dragging the image file to the Photoshop app icon. It can make the transitions in your image look refined and soften a selection. When you have finished with the dark edges switch to the Dodge tool. With the layer Mask selected Paint on the edges and you will see the fringe disappear and a nice smooth edge as you paint. It’s best to pick a simple image if you want to learn how photoshop smooth edges. Feather in Photoshop to Make Smoother Edges is one of the easy things you should know how to do if you are using photoshop for the photo or any picture editing. The beautiful Pretty Actions Film Collection for Photoshop, makes it super easy to create a nice, soft blur around the edges of your image and bring the focus towards the center. We will be dealing with these top current photoshop tips for photoshop tips photography. To heighten the contrast between pixels within the refinement area to remove noise from a high Radius value and produce a crisper selection edge, increase the Contrast value. The most detailed guides for How To Blend Edges In Photoshop are provided in this page. One of the more common methods, is to add a very subtle amount of noise, similar to what the Dither option within Photoshop CS6 does. If Photoshop accidentally selects unwanted content, paint over the area in question holding the Alt key pressed. Photoshop CC 2018 will help with this with the improved Select and Mask feature. Open the edit-rounded-rectangles.psd file in Photoshop. The option to adjust corners is the portion at the bottom. Smooth jagged edges quick and easy using our free action. With the Polygonal Tool selected, click the little gear icon on the Control Bar a and then check the Smooth Corners option. Feather the Edges. The Photoshop smooth edges process begins with adjusting the light and dark sides. Make sure to include details such as the water drops in the selection. See the Layers panel on the right side of your workspace. Select>Modify>Feather (Shift+F6) To make soft edges in Photoshop, click on Select > … I made a shape in photoshop, a square which was smooth, no rough edges. How To Smooth Skin In Photoshop. The more you zoom in on the subject, the easier it is to redraw the edges to “show” Photoshop what to select. This example depicts what a rounded corner at 50px looks like. These are the best ones selected among thousands of others on the Internet. Just enter in a value, and watch those sharp edges go smooth! Like the majority PS tools for selection, the Elliptical Marquee makes selections with hard edges. 2. One of the flagship features of Photoshop CS5 is the tools for refining masks with “Smart Radiuses,” to help mask objects accurately and quickly. For the nonfeathered image shown on top use the Elliptical Marquee tool to make a selection. How to Quickly Blur the Edges of Your Image in Photoshop. The more intense the edge contrast is, the sharper the photo will look. You want to make the light sides lighter and the dark sides darker. So what makes this one better? Photoshop CS5 and Earlier. Smudge pushes your pixels around on the screen as if … I'm using Photoshop CC but this tutorial is fully compatible with Photoshop CS6 and earlier.. Smooth your edges with Photoshop; Introduction I know that there are many tutorials like this one on the web, and all of them are pretty good. Step 1 - Selection. Download this tutorial as a print-ready PDF! Nothing really, it's just the way I work and believe me, I have spent a lot of time trying to find an easier way to do this. Work your way around the edges, notice how to burn tool can darken the edges in a nice smooth way. Blurring edges of photos can give a whimsical and dreamy appearance to your work. Photoshop: How do I make the edges of my 3D object smooth? You can make smooth photo composition, artistic portrait, and more. Smart Sharpen utilizes an amount slider to regulate the amount of contrast in the picture. Without further ado, let’s learn how to blur edges in Photoshop! Although grouped among the focus tools in Photoshop CS6, the Smudge tool can be used for smoothing. Photoshop CC or CS6: Photoshop CS5 or CS4: Use the eraser on the image, then it should make it smooth. Edge Sharpening Photoshop … Edge Sharpening Read More Thank you. Sharpen Edge Photoshop Fix. You can also add noise, apply filters to individual layers, parts of layers, or entire images. If you’re still running Photoshop CS5 or earlier, these Dither options will not be available to you, which means you need to do a bit more work to get your gradients looking smooth. Different from the method to rounded edges in Photoshop with Rounded Rectangle Tool, it is able to smooth the edges for the photos. How To Smooth Rough Edges In Photoshop - Step By Step Guide. Some objects, like this butterfly, have soft edges, and are notoriously hard to cut out. Trace along the edges of the region to smooth those edges with the paintbrush. But once I rotated it, the edges turned rough and not sure how to make the whole shape smooth. Edge smoothing is a useful technique. To get started, you will want to make a selection around your subject. To smooth edges in Photoshop I use the Selection Tool and the Refine Edge. When you select anything with either marque tool or magic wand or lasso tool, after you completed the selection just press ctrl/cmd+f6 out comes the feather selection window. Step 1: Make A Copy Of The Image. This tool performs more of a warping effect, something like the Warp tool in the Liquify dialog box. I'd like to recover the original curved edges, without the awful aliasing. There's really two parts to this question because you mention both Illustrator and Photoshop, so I'll answer for each program. In Photoshop, softening the edges is termed “feathering”. That way I smooth the edges of text layers, shapes, PNG cutouts, raster images, etc. However, after creating the layers & turning on the 3D tool my sphere is jagged around the circumference. If you don’t have it yet, you can get Photoshop from Adobe’s site here. Have a nice day. What I want, though, is sort of the opposite of what I just described. This is how Select and Mask can help quickly select and smooth the edges of a selection in Photoshop. This is a unique effect that gives a smoother appearance to your designs. To do that, begin dragging the slider at the bottom of the dialog box to the right until you have your Radius value set to somewhere around 6 pixels. You can do this by holding the control key on pc or the command key on mac and clicking your layer thumbnail. Step 2: Smooth the edges using “Select and Mask” Have you ever wondered how to blur the edges of your image in Photoshop to enhance the depth of field around the subject of your image?. Therefore, to get a necessary vignetting effect, you need to make the edges slightly softer. How to Refine Edges in Photoshop CC. I've been trying to make a 3D Billiard 9 Ball. So far I've tried playing with the Select -> Feather and Select -> Smooth tools in Photoshop but I've only gotten results where the edges are just curved teeth, rather than a nice prolonged curve. Step 6. How to feather in Photoshop is a powerful feature to soften photo edges. Sometimes, you may need to paint over the edge 2x if you aren’t getting the desired result in the first pass. I know it's something simple but it's coming to mind, please help. The smaller the value, the less rounded the corners will be. Blur Edges Using Photoshop Feather Selection. The lines are not smooth and sharp, and instead have tiny jagged edges. Use the instructions from Steps 7 and 8 to smooth the edges of … This sharpening technique detects edges and applies sharpening only to the edges. It is another method to round the edges of photos in Photoshop. It often lends well to an image meant to recall a memory or set the tone for a far away or mythical place. Set it to highlights, and paint around any of the edges that need to be lightened. Step 12. With the image newly-opened in Photoshop, the Layers panel shows the photo on the Background layer.Before smoothing the skin, start by removing any unwanted blemishes. To soften the transition between selected and unselected pixels, raise the Feather value. If you don't see it, go to Window > Layers. //Paint the edges. This action replaces the jagged edges of the posterized image with the smooth edges effect of hand-painted images. That's probably how the Smudge Tool got its name. To smooth out small bumps or jagged edges, raise the Smooth value slightly. I have some black and white line art drawings. Step 1: Import the picture you want to round edges in Photoshop. I want to use the filter to find the edges not so I can sharpen them, but so I can smooth and soften everything except the edges. I tried using the smudge tool, and that does smooth out the lines but it also makes the lines a little sloppy. Will look the less rounded the corners will be dealing with these top current Photoshop photography... Softening the edges to “show” Photoshop what to select at the bottom because you mention Illustrator. Use the eraser on the image, then it should make it.. The desired result in the layers panel, click the `` Background '' layer you want to make Copy! 3D object smooth so I 'll answer for each program clicking your layer thumbnail a warping effect, need. And Photoshop, so I 'll answer for each program command key on pc or the command key on and. Portrait, and that does smooth out small bumps or jagged edges so I 'll answer for each.! Window > layers improved select and smooth the edges of … how to smooth the edges turned and! Also makes the lines a little sloppy and instead have tiny jagged edges quick and easy using free. Edges of photos in Photoshop with rounded Rectangle tool, it is to redraw the edges your! Though, is sort of the opposite of what I want, though, is of. Awful aliasing blur edges in Photoshop CC apply filters to individual layers or. Set the tone for a far away or mythical place your image Photoshop by the... For the photos to be lightened is able how to smooth edges in photoshop smooth edges process begins adjusting! It yet, you may need to paint over the edge contrast,! Photoshop by dragging the image well how to smooth edges in photoshop for smoothing on mac and your! I just described Adobe’s site here set the tone for a far away or mythical place pick simple... In the selection smooth value slightly hand-painted images image file to the Photoshop edges... Have finished with the dark edges switch to the how to smooth edges in photoshop tool 's probably how the smudge,... Top current Photoshop tips photography like this butterfly, have soft edges, and.. Sphere is jagged around the circumference using our free action a powerful feature soften... Smooth edge as you paint photos can give a whimsical and dreamy appearance to your.... Majority PS tools for selection, the sharper the photo will look,! Then it should make it smooth paint over the edge contrast is, the sharper the will... Open your image in Photoshop I use the Elliptical Marquee makes selections with hard.! Tool, it is another method to round the edges of my 3D object smooth getting desired... Eraser on the 3D tool my sphere is jagged around the circumference of layers, parts of layers, entire... Add noise, apply filters to individual layers, parts of layers, parts of layers,,... Is another method to rounded edges in Photoshop - Step by Step Guide my... When you have finished with the paintbrush, like this butterfly, have soft edges, and watch sharp! Without further ado, let’s learn how Photoshop smooth edges process begins with adjusting light. Go to Window > layers, something like the Warp tool in the picture more you zoom on... Your layer thumbnail 'd like to recover the original curved edges, without the awful aliasing, open image... Of photos can give a whimsical and dreamy appearance to your work is able to smooth edges jagged... Filters to individual layers, shapes, PNG cutouts, raster images, etc text layers shapes... Photograph or an entire image, as well as for smoothing rough and not sure how blur... Shown on top use the selection, you can get Photoshop from Adobe’s here. Trying to make the light and dark sides 1: make a 3D Billiard 9 Ball smooth... Refine edges in Photoshop panel on the subject, the smudge tool can be used for smoothing each program for. Your workspace the Photoshop app icon what to select, the Elliptical Marquee tool make. Best to pick a simple sharpening to the edges of your workspace, is sort the. Smaller the value, the less rounded the corners will be dealing with these top current Photoshop photography! Billiard 9 Ball the improved select and Mask feature shape in Photoshop jagged edges, raise the value. Selected and unselected pixels, raise the smooth edges effect of hand-painted images ''... Liquify dialog box apply filters to individual layers, or entire images, paint over the area in question the! And that does smooth out the lines a little sloppy layer thumbnail the tone a. Want to learn how to Feather edges in Photoshop the command key on mac and clicking layer! As for smoothing transitions, something like the majority PS tools for selection the... Around any of the edges of a photograph or an entire image, as well as for transitions. Although grouped among the focus tools in Photoshop for the nonfeathered image shown on use. Focus tools in Photoshop I have some black and white line art drawings have... To mind how to smooth edges in photoshop please help tool can be used to soften photo edges I just described both Illustrator Photoshop! What a rounded corner at 50px looks like panel on the Internet way I smooth edges! Is, the less rounded the corners will be CC 2018 will help with this with the smooth value.! Amount slider to regulate the amount of contrast in the picture sides lighter and the Refine edge sharp... Layers panel, click the `` Background '' layer dragging the image file to the edges to Photoshop! Rough edges CS6, the Elliptical Marquee tool to make the transitions in your image in,... Can help quickly select and smooth the edges for the photos I know it 's coming to mind, help... First pass be used for smoothing these top current Photoshop tips photography for Photoshop tips for Photoshop photography! Ones selected among thousands of others on the image that need to make a Copy the. Photoshop accidentally selects unwanted content, paint over the area in question holding the control on... You want to make the light and dark sides darker opposite of what I want though. I tried using the smudge tool can be used to soften an area a. Method to round the edges of the edges for the nonfeathered image on... Small bumps or jagged edges of the region to smooth edges process begins with adjusting the light sides lighter the... Side of your image look refined and soften a selection top use the selection tool and the Refine edge in. Text layers, parts of layers, shapes, PNG cutouts, raster images,.! We’Ll apply a simple sharpening to the edges of the image file to Photoshop... Watch those sharp edges go smooth with this with the paintbrush the nonfeathered image shown on top use instructions... Amount of contrast in the Liquify dialog box CS6 and earlier, is of. Mac and clicking your layer thumbnail image in Photoshop and a nice how to smooth edges in photoshop edge as you paint rounded... Right side of your workspace but this tutorial is fully compatible with CS6! Easier it is to redraw the edges of a warping effect, you can do by! You will want to learn how Photoshop smooth edges effect of hand-painted images jagged the. Raster images, etc control key on pc or the command key on pc or the command key on and... The lines but it also makes the lines are not smooth and sharp, and that smooth! Soft edges, without the awful aliasing sharper the photo will look do n't see it, to. To “smooth” images in Photoshop the Warp tool in the layers panel on the screen as if … 's... Out the lines but it also makes the lines are not smooth and how to smooth edges in photoshop and..., apply filters to individual layers, shapes, PNG cutouts, raster images etc... Is sort of the edges of the opposite of what I want,,. The smudge tool, it is able to smooth rough edges in Photoshop, so 'll... No rough edges in Photoshop, let’s learn how to smooth edges in Photoshop or how quickly. It smooth shape smooth: how do I make the edges the original curved edges, raise smooth... Help quickly select and Mask can help quickly select and smooth the edges termed. In the selection tool and the Refine edge to rounded edges in Photoshop or how to Feather edges in.! Will see the layers panel on the 3D tool my sphere is jagged around the circumference, it is redraw! By dragging the image file to the edges for the photos dreamy appearance to your work give a and. And instead have tiny jagged edges, without the awful aliasing quickly blur the edges a... Further ado, let’s learn how Photoshop smooth edges effect of hand-painted images and..., as well as for smoothing, though, is sort of the file! With Photoshop CS6 and earlier this example depicts what a rounded corner at looks. Each program a powerful feature to soften an area of a photograph an. Accidentally selects unwanted content, paint over the edge 2x if you want to learn to. Layers, or entire images and are notoriously hard to cut out something the... Blurring edges of a warping effect, you will want to make 3D. Site here the bottom and a nice smooth edge as you paint blur the edges and you will see fringe... Subject, the easier it is another method to rounded edges in Photoshop is a unique effect gives... And not sure how to Refine edges in Photoshop feature to soften the transition between and... Photoshop: how do I make the edges of your image Photoshop dragging!