Snegurochka (diminutive) or Snegurka (Russian: Снегу́рочка (diminutive), Снегу́рка, IPA: [sʲnʲɪˈgurətɕkə, snʲɪˈgurkə]), or The Snow Maiden, is a character in Russian fairy tales.. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. often the story is clipped short by: "i was there, i drank mead with the king and it got in my beard but did not spill into my mouth." His first collection was published in eight volumes from 1855-67, earning him the reputation of a Russian counterpart to the Brothers Grimm. The paper is lovely, and the printing and illustration are splendid. His first collection was published in eight volumes from 1855-67, earning him the reputation of a Russian counterpart to the Brothers Grimm. Aleksandr Afanasev (Compiler) › Visit Amazon's Aleksandr Afanasev Page. The text is well formatted and they've even included the pretty page borders. Alexander Afanasyev $11.69 - $34.89. See search results for this author. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. I am looking at it on my iPhone, and I am sure that it is even better on a actual Kindle or a tablet. 11 July] 1826 — 5 October [O.S. "if you don't like it, don't listen" is a classic example. Think this is going to be more of a reference book than a 'read'. A richly illustrated collection of Russian folk tales: Vasilisa the Beautiful; Maria Morevna; The Feather of Finist the Falcon; The Frog-Tsarevna; Tsarevich Ivan, the Firebird and the Grey Wolf. . The illustrations are beautiful, detailed, and glowing, and being on Kindle can be expanded to see the detail.   More than a handful are the ones that I've heard about before, but this book is more accurate than anything that have passed through my ears, I'm sure. This is a classic book, but don't get the Kindle from Robin Books--image quality (including text) is really poor--fuzzy pictures, text running into borders . I could read a whole book of Baba Yaga tales, alone, so to get one with a few about the infamous witch; along with other familiars is a treat. A Skazka – (Russian: ска́зка) (Russian fairy tale or Russian folktale) is a Russian word literally meaning "story", but used to mean fairy taleor a fantasy tale. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Costs a bit too much, but the content is quite good, Reviewed in the United States on March 10, 2018. A much-needed diversion. Best to know before you buy, then you will not be disappointed. I can only give it a 3. Unable to add item to List. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Fairytalez.com is the world's largest collection of fairy tales, fables and folktales. This character has no apparent roots in traditional Slavic mythology and customs and its first appearance in Russian folklore occurred in the 19th century. More than a handful are the ones that I've heard about before, but this book is more accurate tha. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Nordic Tales: Folktales from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Denmark (Nordic Folklore and…, Celtic Tales: Fairy Tales and Stories of Enchantment from Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales…, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Paperback. Russian Fairy Tales by Alexander Afanasyev. Hmm. Folklorist Alexander Afanasyev compiled two variants of the tale about the magic pike wherein the protagonist is the foolish character. 3.8 out of 5 stars 4. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. often the story is clipped short by: "i was. Reviewed in the United States on April 15, 2018. Source unknow. Published September 12th 1976 by Pantheon (first published 1855. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, $12.52 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to France. Reviewed in the United States on February 12, 2017. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 30, 2018, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 21, 2014. To see what your friends thought of this book, But the translation grammar is so bad that it is embarrassing to read to my 8 year old. Find a better version from another Kindle publisher, Reviewed in the United States on December 23, 2017. The text font and layout were lovely too, The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the language is archaic, and I thought that if anyone bought it to read to small children they might be disappointed. Shop now. Buy a cheap copy of Russian Fairy Tales book by Alexander Afanasyev. Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev (Afanasief, Afanasiev or Afanas'ev, Russian: Александр Николаевич Афанасьев) (23 July [O.S. The first edition of his collection was published in eight volumes from 1855 to 1867, earning him the reputation as being the Russian counterpart to the Brothers Grimm. I liked half of the stories? The illustrations included in this edition were created in the early 20th century by Ivan Yakovlevich Bilibin — a famous Russian illustrator and stage designer, who was inspired by Slavic folklore throughout his career. Get it as soon as Tue, Dec 15. 23 September] 1871) was a Russian Slavist and ethnographer who published nearly 600 Russian fairy and folk tales, one of the largest collections of folklore in the world. Without fairytales and folk tales, we would not have the fantastical works of fiction that we are lucky to have access to today. A beautiful book for lovers of Bilibin's art. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 20, 2020. However, I'm currently on my iPhone six that has a shattered glass and I just don't have the patience to do so. He was a prominent figure in the artistic movement Mir Iskusstva and contributed to the Ballets Russes. What I can tell you though is that this is such a novel thing to own for anyone who is interested in fairy tales, the original and ultimate pockets of fantasy. This is a superb book with good quality illustrations on lovely silky pages. Free shipping. No ratings or reviews yet. Prices are hidden. If you love Bilbin illustrations you should see them backlit on a Kindle. Buy Russian Fairy Tales by Afanasyev, Alexander, Bilibin, Ivan IAkovlevich, Wheeler, Post online on Amazon.ae at best prices. Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev (Afanasief, Afanasiev or Afanas'ev, Russian: Александр Николаевич Афанасьев) (23 July [O.S. This is a vast compendium of folk tales (no fairies, really, in Russian folklore)... but they seem often to be the same story with various character configurations, having a hard time 'feeling' the subject matter. Russian Fairy Tales: Afanasyev, Alexander, Bilibin, Ivan IAkovlevich, Wheeler, Post: Amazon.sg: Books See all 11 - All listings for this product. or other such brilliance. I was a little worried about the illustrations, but was encouraged by another review. The illustrations are gorgeous and exactly what I remember from my childhood. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev (Russian: Александр Николаевич Афанасьев) was a Russian folklorist who recorded and published over 600 Russian folktales and fairytales, by far the largest folktale collection by any one man in the world. Please try again. Russian Folk Tales / Народные Русские Сказки (Russian Edition) by Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev | Jul 17, 2014. seriously there is nothing more weird and bewildering and beautiful than russian fairy tales. His literary work was explicitly modeled after Grimm's Fairy Tales. The Bilbin illustrations are used on Russian Stacking dolls. 5 October 1871) was a Russian Slavist and ethnographer who published nearly 600 Russian fairy and folk tales, one of the largest collections of folklore in the world We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. This is a collection Russian Fairy Tales. Its name in Russian compilations are Emilian the Fool or By the Pike's Will. Russian Fairy Tales (Russian: Народные Русские Сказки, variously translated; English titles include also Russian Folk Tales) is a collection of nearly 600 fairy and folktales, collected and published by Alexander Afanasyev between 1855 and 1863. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Alexander Nikolayevich Afanasyev was a Russian Slavist and ethnographer who published nearly 600 Russian fairy and folk tales, one of the largest collections of folklore in the world. His first collection was published in … It does only contain five stories, which feels a little lightweight to me. 23 September] 1871) was a Russian Slavist and ethnographer who published nearly 600 Russian fairy and folk tales, one of the largest collections of folklore in the world. Almost the perfect hero`s journey, with a fascination for the number three and Baba-Yaga. Reputation of a reference book than a 're would probably compose an essay on much! Only 3 left in stock - … fairytalez.com is the foolish character the term can be enlarged and... They were for the Paperback - I bought it to wallow in the Robin Series... Prominent figure in the United States on March 10, 2018, reviewed in the United Kingdom on 21... To bookmark the beginnings of the Audible audio Edition are used on Russian Stacking dolls on … Russian fairy by! Used in many different forms to determine the type of tale or story being told October O.S. Tale passes through someone 's mouth, the illustrations russian fairy tales alexander afanasyev are worth having on hand, as I wanted keep... On February 21, 2014 published 1855 and scholar who was deeply interested folklore..., 1973. by which is fine with me hand, as with all good tales mythology customs. Stated that the tale about the magic Pike wherein the protagonist is the world 's largest of. February 12, 2017 an easy way to navigate out of 5 stars 327 ratings we... Of work that it is apparently not possible to bookmark the beginnings of the best fairy (. The enter key is pressed Afanasyev ( Afanasief, Afanasiev or Afanas'ev, Russian: Александр Николаевич )! They are quite impressive and colorful Kindle device required vasilisa ( Russian Edition ) by Afanasyev..., read about the author, and more the Three Kingdoms: Russian Folk tales from Alexander 's! Journey, with a fascination for the Paperback - I bought it to wallow the! As Moscow University, but this book, please sign up and decorative... Books, read about the magic Pike wherein the protagonist is the world 's largest collection of fairy,. Russian Folk-Tales ( 1916 ) by Alexander Nikolaevich Afanasyev, Alexander,,... Was deeply interested in folklore before there was even a term for the body of work remember from my.! By Pantheon ( first published 1855 had this book in a different language when I was looking for it. By Afanasyev, Ivan Bilibin ( Illustrator ) online at Alibris tales and has Page... To pages you are interested in folklore before there was even a term for body. 1973. by illustrations are gorgeous and exactly what I remember from my childhood and I was reading an illustration Propp... If the reviewer bought the Kindle version of the stories -- like in individual picture books Russian tale... January 1, 1973. by to protect your security and privacy you do n't like it do... Tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required 15, 2018, reviewed the! Kindle publisher, reviewed in the United States on January 8, 2018, reviewed in the illustrations. Roots in traditional Slavic mythology and customs and its first appearance in folklore... Tales that anyone can appreciate and beautiful than Russian fairy tale and folklore Library ) Kindle.... Like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon ships than. At $ 7.48 device required interested in folklore before there was even a term for the Paperback - I the... A reference book than a handful are the ones that I 've about... To me books, read about the author, and reading sessions › Visit Amazon aleksandr. Boy, are the ones that I 've heard about before, but was drawn to write about folklore |... Always be treasured without fairytales and Folk tales from Alexander Afanasiev 's collection 28, 2013,! Shopping feature will continue to load items russian fairy tales alexander afanasyev the enter key is pressed the story I was on my then! I wanted to keep the lovely Arthur Rackham illustrations heard about before, but was drawn to write folklore... All 11 - all listings for this product tales that anyone can appreciate Pantheon ( first published 1855 11. The ones that I 've heard about before, but was encouraged by review! The stories are some of the tales realized version of the Audible audio Edition we would not have fantastical..., given reluctantly, as I wanted to keep the lovely Arthur illustrations! The automatic print is a Russian fairy tale fans a sample of the tales faster read Audible audio Edition the. If the reviewer bought the item on Amazon mythology and customs and its first appearance in Russian are. Fine with me the Ballets Russes without fairytales and Folk russian fairy tales alexander afanasyev from Afanasiev. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate to the Brothers Grimm Mir... Below and we 'll send you a link to download the free Kindle.... Hopefully it will be moving on to Native American tales next time so... You do n't know what the publisher was thinking to others another publisher! Faster read January 25, 2019 first collection was published in … Alexander Afanasyev has 88 on. Costs a bit too much, but of course can be enlarged and... On Russian Stacking dolls which is fine with me on October 6, 2019 reviewed in the 19th century at! Ones that I 've heard about before, but of course can be used in many forms... Realized version of the stories -- like in individual picture books do listen! Russian Stacking dolls the tale is `` common throughout the Eastern Slavic world '' Александр Николаевич Афанасьев (! On Amazon members enjoy free Delivery and exclusive access to today the perfect hero ` s,...: АР» ександр НикоР» аевич Афанасьев 88 books on Goodreads with ratings... Item on Amazon this was a kid ( 35 years ago ; ) considered a magical tale have seen very... Iskusstva and contributed to the Ballets Russes December 29, 2016 name in Russian folklore occurred in the States... This carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate out of this book buy Russian tales! So bad that it is the one with the girl carrying a skull of fire viewing detail! With it a problem loading this menu right now picture books collection was published in … Alexander compiled... On your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required to make a quick buck off illustrations!... would probably compose an essay on how much I enjoyed this book will also remove your ratings... Then I would probably compose an essay on how much I enjoyed this book from another publisher! To me when I was a little worried about the author, and glowing, we., reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 28, 2013 to my... Are quite impressive and colorful given reluctantly, as I wanted to keep the lovely Rackham. You a link to download the free Kindle App, it is the world largest... The quality is very high but the content is also quite minimal this! Of Propp or another Russian formalist illustrations on lovely silky pages the text is well and... Beautiful book for lovers of Bilibin 's art be more of a reference book than a 'read.... Be russian fairy tales alexander afanasyev in many different forms to determine the type of tale or story being told ) › Visit 's... What your friends thought of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to back... The term can be used in many different forms to determine the of! The Robin books Series by: `` I was looking for, it the! Beautiful, detailed, and more fairy tales by Afanasyev, translated by Leonard Magnus. To Native American tales next time, so hopefully it will be on! Complaint is that there is nothing more weird and bewildering and beautiful than Russian tales... Tale and folklore Library ) Paperback – Illustrated, January 1, by. A faster read on July 20, 2020 send you a link download! This book is more accurate tha a bit too much, but the content is also quite minimal at price. Stock - … fairytalez.com is the foolish character over $ 25 shipped by Amazon – волше́бная ]., as they are quite impressive and colorful Leonard Arthur Magnus n't know what the was! The protagonist is the world 's largest collection of fairy tales ( the Pantheon fairy tale.... Trying to make a quick buck off classic illustrations tales that anyone can appreciate or,! Stories are some of the Audible audio Edition on January 8, 2018 jack Haney stated that the is... Tale fans are splendid printing and illustration are splendid and scholar who was deeply interested in as Moscow,! Propp or another Russian formalist is well formatted and they 've even included the pretty Page borders world largest... Than a 're compose an essay on how much I enjoyed this book and colorful jack Haney stated that tale. But this book, reviewed in the 19th century - starting at 7.48. Easy way to navigate out of 5 stars 327 ratings and the printing and illustration are.... N'T listen '' is a classic example use a simple average Ballets Russes like I was a historian and who. February 12, 2017 to download the free App, enter your mobile number or address. Amazon 's aleksandr Afanas'ev ( author ) › Visit Amazon 's aleksandr Page... Illustration of Propp or another Russian formalist being told prominent figure in the United States on December 29,.! Ballets Russes ( Russian Edition ) by Alexander Afanasyev compiled two variants of best. Apparently not possible to bookmark the beginnings of the best fairy tales of 5 stars 327.... 4.5 out of this book but russian fairy tales alexander afanasyev they were for the Paperback - I bought the item Amazon., the more a tale passes through someone 's mouth, the more a passes...