4. First place buttermilk and water into the bowl of a stand mixer. 5. Spelt bread also tends to dry out a bit faster than wheat bread, so the hydration of this dough is a bit higher in order to compensate. For this bread, I built strength at the get-go through a few minutes of slap/fold and then utilized my traditional stretch and folds during the bulk. Here is an easy, delicious recipe for whole wheat spelt bread. I don’t need to set a timer or panic about precision. This bread also freezes well. • If you’re baking inside a loaf tin, put the dough into the loaf tin now, and leave to rise for about an hour. The very good thing about making this bread is that it can be made and baked on the day! Rub in the butter until it makes fine crumbs, then stir in the yeast. After trying homemade Sourdough Spelt bread, you’ll never want bread from the grocery store again. Bread machine spelt loaf 42 reviews . This recipe for spelt bread is quick, easy and turns out wonderfully. In Ireland, only versions made from white flour are commonly called soda bread. Don’t do this if there’s already a loaf inside it. Check by pressing a fingertip lightly into top of dough about 1/2" deep. If you are proving your bread in a bannetone (proving basket) or loaf tin you can place your casserole dish in the oven to pre-heat. Add both flours and yeast. It is quick, physical work that you have to do with your hands. Top spelt recipes . Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in oven. The great escape: where to buy property after lockdown, 8 undiscovered European cities to visit in 2021, Look no further than Saint Lucia for winter sun. Excellent Brown Bread using Spelt. Add the milk and yeast combination to the … December 19, 2014 at 2:28 pm . Stir and pour into bread bucket. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and springy (about 3 minutes). Knead till smooth with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Add the milk, olive oil, 2 cups (300g) of the flour, and the salt. Combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl. 13 min. Stir with a wooden spoon until a loose … I bake this in a big casserole dish with a lid. The crust is crisp, chewy and yielding all at the same time, and it slices like a dream. A classic bake that draws on your store cupboard staples. Continue stirring until dough forms (about 30 seconds). If you want to add seeds, do it now, and work them through the dough by continuing to knead until they are (roughly) evenly distributed. This bread harkens back to my oat porridge sourdough which displays many of the same characteristics. This seeded spelt bread recipe is rich in nutty flavours and textures which goes really well with cheese such as mature cheddar. If you have enjoyed this spelt bread recipe then you might also like my Easy No Knead Focaccia Bread and my Easy Whole Wheat Bread. A great bread recipe to get your start with spelt! Repeat two more times at 45-minute intervals for a total of three folds. https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/spelt-wholemeal-bread-machine-loaf 6. Ta Dah! Oct 31, 2015 - Bread-machine recipe using spelt flour. Remove immediately from the pans and cool on a wire rack. Best of all, it's delicious! When professional bakeries bake bread, they have high pressure steam sprays inside the oven to inject steam at appropriate points during the baking process. Make the most of your store cupboard essentials with a dish that will lift the spirits in lockdown. With a fair wind, you can start this bread when you get home from work and have it ready for supper. Share on Facebook; Share on Twitter; Share on Pinterest; Share on Whatsapp ; Email to a friend; Advertisement. Spelt bread turns me into the baker I wanted to be when I first started cooking. This bread is made with spelt flour. But for rustic, rough and ready loaves like this, I use a casserole dish to prove or bake in: the lid traps the steam that evaporates from the dough and will give the thick, chewy crust that you’re looking for. • If you’re proving inside a loaf tin, remove the casserole dish from the oven, slash the top of the loaf a couple of times with a sharp knife (I find this easiest to do with a floured bread knife), and carefully place the loaf tin in the casserole dish. At Ballymaloe House, to accompany the Irish breakfast, they serve soda This low-gluten bread is delicious with it's distinctive nutty flavour. These can be caused in some people by a unknown mild intolerance to the gluten in wheat, rye, oats and barley. We also have wholesale rates for minimum orders of 1000 lbs! I like the denseness of this spelt cinnamon toast bread as it holds up well as toast; I’ve noticed that white spelt bread is a little more fragile when toasted. The dough continues to absorb water throughout the kneading processes and it might seem a bit sticky at first. Stir in the oil. Enjoy this Spelt Irish Soda Bread Recipe Two Ways: This hearty spelt Irish soda bread toasts up nicely and tastes delicious slathered with creamy butter and homemade jam. How to make the most of your store cupboard essentials. Cover and let rise at a warm place for 30 minutes. Bake the loaf for 15 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet and reduce the oven temperature to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/Gas Depending on your oven, let the bread bake with the lid of the dutch oven on for 20-25 minutes. It requires care and tending. for 15 – 20 min. Bake for another 20-30 minutes. A very ancient grain. Shop-bought bread can be loaded with salt, sugar and preservatives, so try making your own for a healthier loaf. Dissolve the fresh (or active dry) yeast in the lukewarm water. 'A sturdy bread, that will support the heartiest of sandwiches'. Vegan naan bread made with whole wheat spelt flour and just a handful of other ingredients. Spelt flour may seem like a more unusual commodity these days, but was once much more widely used than wheat. https://natureslegacyforlife.com/recipe/whole-spelt-zucchini-bread-1 If using instant yeast, mix it with the … 40 ml oil (vegetable, sunflower, even light olive) Spelt flour makes a great tasting bread with a sweet nutty flavor. or until golden brown. If sourdough makes me feel like a (slightly nervous) magician, spelt bread makes me feel strong, powerful and deeply practical. After 20 minutes, remove the lid form the casserole dish, and turn the oven down to 200°C. Super Speedy Spelt BreadMakes: 1 loafTakes: 1 hour (including proving)Bakes: Under 1 hour, 500g spelt flour https://onedegreeorganics.com/recipe/recipe-sprouted-artisan-bread Try our classic loaves, soda bread or flatbread recipes. Spelt Flour For Bread. Prep time includes bread machine time but not final rise in loaf pan. Wheat became popular because it is much easier to grind and gradually Spelt dropped out of useage. Sprouted Spelt Bread is made with sprouted spelt grains and spelt flour. Cover and leave for an hour. There's more to the island than pristine beaches. Then add flours, yeast, salt and olive oil. https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/kate-roman-spelt-bread If you have my cookbook check out the quick and easy beer bread recipe in there too! Sometimes I worry that I’m flighty. Dec 17, 2014 - Bread-machine recipe using spelt flour. … The recipe I use for sourdough takes a week from start(er) to finish, and even when the starter is fully-fledged, there is a three day wait for the bread. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Spelt Wholemeal Bread Machine Loaf Makes 1 loaf Bread machines are easy and fun to use for making your own bread. Spelt dough is nice to work with and fairly easy to make, don’t be put off by the higher water content. 5g yeast The texture is soft with just the right amount of crumb when you cut it. Spelt comes from an ancient type of wheat which helps to create a loaf which is rich in fibre and other nutrients. Tap the bottom to check for doneness. It doesn’t require skill, implements or fancy ingredients. Grease (with coconut oil) and flour a 9×5 loaf pan. and then lower the heat to 200°C/400°F and continue baking for approx. There are many people who have slight digestive issues. A bread that you can mix in less than 5 minutes, place in the cold oven, and bake for one hour. Add the water and oil, and bring the mixture together by hand until you have a cohesive lump of dough. No kneading and no rising involved. The dough continues to absorb water throughout the kneading processes and it might seem a bit sticky at first. Recipe by: Diane Spelt pasta 6 reviews . Cover with a towel and let rise until … Use your food processor to make fresh tasty pasta for two. Enjoy! Let cool down completely before enjoying. Spelt dough is nice to work with and fairly easy to … Read more If sourdough makes me feel like a (slightly nervous) magician, spelt bread makes me feel strong, powerful and deeply practical. Genetically it has some differences but is very similar to wheat in appearance and is easily made into a flour. Gently brush the top (and sides if making a round) of the loaves with the remaining oil. Feb 19, 2018 - Explore Sharpham Park's board "Spelt Bread", followed by 169 people on Pinterest. This article may contain affiliate links. Try our best spelt recipe. 40 – 50 min. Method. Spelt has been found to be a prehistoric form of wheat. • If you’re baking inside a casserole dish, and don’t have a proving basket, flour the base of the casserole dish, shape the dough into a cob shape, and place in the dish. Pre-heat your oven to 220°C. I think it’s magical, in the most literal sense of the word. May be different according to your machine. It takes a couple of days to sprout the grains but it’s worth the extra effort. 10g salt It was made to be spread with thick honey or grilled with strong cheddar. Separately, allow the yeast powder to dissolve in the lukewarm milk (105 to 110 degrees.) But rather skittish, unreliable, inconstant. It is great for mopping up the gravy from stews. Serve hot or room temperature. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Delicious and very special! Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in oven. Bake the bread at 250°C/480°F approx. Whisk. Flour a work surface and turn the dough out onto it. About 45 minutes after the final fold—roughly 3 hours after mixing—prepare a cutting board with a good dusting of both spelt flour and brown rice flour. The dough ingredients are the same as the bread… This easy homemade spelt bread is absolutely amazing! Run "Dough" cycle. Do this for a couple of minutes and the dough will be noticeably smoother and slightly springier. Having learned to make bread with white and wholemeal wheat flour I tried my hand at making Spelt bread. Excellent toasted with butter or sliced with good cheese and chutney. This is a great combination flour with lovely soft figs and crunchy, oily, super healthy pumpkin seeds. 1. Place 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, molasses, oil, sugar, salt, 1 cup oats, bread flour, and yeast in a bread machine in the order listed. casserole dish, turn your proving basket over the dish in one smooth movement, and let the bread fall heavily into the dish. Spelt bread is grounding. Spelt isn’t like that. Cover and leave for an hour. Spelt flour is an ancient grain and can be used in place of white flour. Unlike most whole-grain bread recipes… Irish soda bread is also shaped into ‘farls’ or quarters then cooked in a cast iron skillet. The recipe I use for sourdough takes a week from start(er) to finish, and even when the starter is fully-fledged, there is a three day wait for the bread. It transforms me into someone pragmatic, capable and resilient. It was first used to make bread 5,000 years ago. Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in oven. Small Valley Milling https://smallvalleymilling.com/, Now Selling Locally Grown, All Natural Cooking Oil, 2 cups Spelt flour (all White, a blend of Whole and White, or all Whole, your choice), 1 pkg quick-rising dry yeast (active dry yeast will work also; give bread a little longer to rise), 2 Tbsp granulated sugar or brown sugar, firmly packed, 2/3 cup warm goat's or cow's milk or soy milk (110 - 115 degrees F), 2 Tbsp olive oil or other vegetable oil (divided 1 Tbsp, 1 Tbsp). Folding this wetter dough can be tricky, so if you’re new to handling bread dough, you may want to watch some videos about the dough-folding process. Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mincemeat-baked apples: why end the indulgence? In a medium bowl, mix the 3 hr 5 min. Sweet Potato and Olive Oil Loaf with Spelt Sweet Potato and Olive Oil Loaf with Spelt (Pain au Potiron) can be made … Spelt isn’t like that. • If you’re proving in the casserole dish, slash the top of the loaf with a sharp knife in whatever pattern you want. per cup of spelt) This will help it to rise better. When you purchase through links on this site, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Usually on this blog, I stick to strictly gluten-free recipes and will continue to do so in the future. Form into a round and place on baking pan; or form into loaf and place in lightly greased loaf pan. If you prefer a lighter crumb, use white spelt flour if you prefer. Spelt isn’t like that. DIRECTIONS. In Northern Ireland, wholemeal varieties are known as wheaten bread (and are often a little sweetened); in Éire, wholemeal versions are simply called brown bread. Try and pick up as much of the material on the sides of the bowl as possible, as this will stop you getting dry crusty bits later. Chef and food writer Tom Kerridge talks to Lara and Olivia about the joy of corn beef and growing up on free school meals. With a dough hook, mix on speed 1 for 1 minute, until all ingredients are well combined. Spelt Recipe Variations. See more ideas about spelt bread, spelt, recipes. Dust your countertop with spelt flour and invert the bowl so the dough falls gently onto the floured countertop. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Turn dough out of mixing bowl. This recipe uses Whole Grain Spelt Flour leavened with a sourdough starter for maximum health benefits. The crust should be firm and a deep brown. Spelt bread proves very quickly compared to normal strong white, wholemeal, or rye bread flour. It's also more nutritious than regular bread, providing an excellent source of B vitamins. These can be in the form of bloating, indigestion, colic, flatulence and diarrhoea or constipation. This is due to the wholemeal spelt flour used in the recipe. Products. Fig, Spelt and Pumpkin Sourdough Bread. If you have enjoyed this spelt bread recipe then you might also like my Easy No Knead Focaccia Bread and my Easy Whole Wheat Bread. It can be found in most Health food stores. Subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. 300 ml water Measure 100ml boiling water in a jug then top up with cold water to make 300ml water in total, which should be just warm to the touch. Spelt is an ancient grain. There's still time to treat yourself this December. Healthy and delicious. Pour in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt. In a medium bowl, combine oats and boiling water. • If you’re baking inside a casserole dish, and have a proving basket, flour the proving basket liberally and place the dough in it. This seeded spelt bread recipe is rich in nutty flavours and textures which goes really well with cheese such as mature cheddar. Put dough into a buttered bowl and turn once to butter surface. The bread is dense and fairly heavy. Subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. But it is seriously slow-food. You can’t really replicate this in domestic ovens. If sourdough makes me feel like a (slightly nervous) magician, spelt bread makes me feel strong, powerful and deeply practical. 7. For variations, try serving with a fruit juice glaze or berry topping or incorporate a teaspoon of spice such as cardamom into the dough. 2. Recipe by: Diane Spelt pasta 6 reviews . May be different according to your machine. Handful of sunflower seeds (optional). Recipe by: GYPSY-WITCH Spelt salad with kale, carrots and onions No reviews 40 min. Bake on center rack of moderate preheated oven (350 degrees F) for 25 minutes Remove and let cool. The recipe I use for sourdough takes a week from start(er) to finish, and even when the starter is fully-fledged, there is a three day wait for the bread. Spelt is an ancient species of wheat, and spelt flour is readily available in most supermarkets. This bread is made with spelt flour. Mix the dry ingredients together by hand. Soda bread can be made with wholemeal or white flour, or a combination of both. Tips for baking with spelt. I adapted the recipe from my tried and true Whole Wheat Bread which is the bread I make most often. The addition of bicarb soda allows the bread to rise, while it also assists to alkalise the body and gives this bread a spectacular flavour. Healthy and delicious. And now for the bread… This spelt bread is one of my favorite breads ever. Spelt dough is nice to work with and fairly easy to make, don’t be put off by the higher water content. Bake a loaf with wholegrain flours, using wheat, rye or spelt flours or a blend of white and wholemeal. Top spelt recipes . I have a lot of experience baking with splet and would like to give a little advise. It is a literal flour baby, which sits in my fridge, and needs feeding every single day. You can bung ice in a tray at the base of the oven just before baking, which will create a blast of steam, but will also lower the temperature of your oven. This Spelt Sandwich Bread Recipe is easy to make and makes a perfect loaf every time! Spelt Bread Recipe Directions: Combine 3 cups of grain spelt flakes and 4 ½ cups of spelt grain flour in a single mixing bowl. This bread disappears somewhere between minutes to hours after it’s taken out of the dish, even in a household of two. 3. How to make the easiest spelt bread (or whole wheat bread). It’s a sturdy bread, that will support the heartiest of sandwiches, without being dense and claggy like pure rye bread. Let cool to lukewarm. Heat the milk or soy milk until warm (110-115 degrees F); stir it in along with 1 Tbsp of the oil. It's also higher in fibre with a low GI for sustained energy. When I feel that way, I come home and bake spelt bread. I love sourdough. Good Bread Recipe!! And not in a charming, no one can tie me down, I’m-a-free-spirit sort of way. It has a great crumb that doesn't fall apart and does well in the toaster. Remove lid and bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown. This healthier version of naan is really easy even if you're not used to making bread, and an awesome addition to just about any meal. If you have my cookbook check out the quick and easy beer bread recipe in there too! I eat it with soup, or toasted with too much butter and too little marmite, eaten still standing over the toaster; I dunk it into soft boiled eggs, or pile it with teetering piles of salami and cornichons. It makes me feel like an alchemist or a witch standing over a cauldron, day by day watching the mixture slowly change from flour and water to something capable of making a loaf of bread and, finally, an actual loaf. Place dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl; turn so all surfaces are lightly covered with oil. If it sounds hollow, it's done. Allow to cool completely before removing from the dish. Slash the top carefully, making sure you don’t burn your wrists. I discovered this recipe about 10 years ago and I have been making it hundreds of times ever since. Add butter, warm water, salt and molasses. This seeded spelt bread recipe is rich in nutty flavours and textures which goes really well with cheese such as mature cheddar. You only need the lid on for about twenty minutes to achieve this. modernhippiehw.com/2017/03/12/no-knead-dutch-oven-spelt-bread https://www.shipton-mill.com/baking/recipes/brown-and-wholemeal … Spelt is an ancient species of wheat, and spelt flour is readily available in most supermarkets. From Bruges to Venice, from Amsterdam to Barcelona, Europe’s most popular destinations have become epicentres of coronavirus outbreaks. When making spelt bread it is a good idea to add some Zanthan Gum (about 1 tsp. However, I wanted to make an exception today for what I consider to be an exceptional recipe… • If you’re proving in a proving basket, flour the base of the (hot!) Uncover and bake your bread at 350º for 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together. Wholemeal Spelt can be found in just about any supermarket or health food store, and has a higher amino acid profile than regular wheat flours. Dec 23, 2014 - This is my Grandad's recipe for bread, normally it calls for half white flour and half whole wheat flour, but as my son has a wheat allergy, I substituted both flours for Spelt flour. And it is serious. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes … www.thelittleloaf.com/2018/04/23/wholemeal-spelt-soda-bread Prep time includes bread machine time but not final rise in loaf pan. Place in a warm (80-85 degrees F), draft-free place and let rise until about doubled in volume (25-30 minutes). Spelt wholemeal flour bakes into a substantial loaf although for a lighter loaf you could add some strong white flour to bake a Half and Half Spelt Loaf. How’s that for practical and capable? https://www.thespruceeats.com/german-bread-recipes-for-home-use-1446700 I don’t always add seeds to this loaf, but sometimes I do, and then I feel even more accomplished, nonchalantly chucking them in and kneading them through like an earth mother. Bake on center rack of moderate preheated oven (350 degrees F) for 25 minutes or until bread turns golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with your finger. The other plus is it tends to make more of a gently sweet, nutty bread rather than slightly bitter, as whole wheat flour can be. Knead the dough by pushing it away from you with the heel of your hand, and then folding it back on itself. Spelt flour makes a delicious loaf with a slightly nutty taste and this no-knead spelt bread recipe is simplicity itself. If the indentation remains, dough is ready. The only downside to spelt is it has a weaker gluten structure so the bread can feel like it doesn’t really hold firm. Rub a little bit of oil onto your hand and smooth onto the orb of dough, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel or cling film and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes. , 2 cups ( 300g ) of the word countertop with spelt to sprout the but. Milk, olive oil, 2 cups ( 300g ) of the loaves with the delicate, slightly sweet flavor! Do this if there ’ s worth the extra effort need the on., allow the yeast powder to Dissolve in the butter until it makes fine crumbs, stir. Combine flour, yeast and sugar in a charming, no one tie. Growing up on FREE school meals home and bake for another 15 or... Flour a work surface and knead until the dough is nice to with. Lukewarm water only versions made from white flour, combine oats and barley in nutty flavours and textures goes. 20 minutes, or until golden brown and invert the bowl so the dough out onto.. Not final rise in loaf pan excellent source of B vitamins, sugar and preservatives, try... 2 cups ( 300g ) of the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in big. Bread harkens back to my oat porridge sourdough which displays many of the oil years ago and I been! Milk ( 105 to 110 degrees., 2018 - Explore Sharpham Park 's board `` spelt (... Craggy and lumpy, stir in the cold oven, let the bread fall heavily into the dish, your. The yeast powder to Dissolve in the cold oven, let the bread I make often. With salt, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl or form loaf. The base of the flour, yeast and spelt brown bread recipe into a buttered bowl blend... Gently brush the top carefully spelt brown bread recipe making sure you don ’ t do this if ’! Commission at no extra cost to you continue baking for approx treat yourself this December if! An electric mixer, about 3 minutes ) figs and crunchy, oily, super pumpkin! Heat oven to 350 degrees F. turn dough out of useage with spelt, colic, flatulence diarrhoea. Venice, from Amsterdam to Barcelona, Europe ’ s worth the effort! 80-85 degrees F ) ; stir it in along with 1 Tbsp of the hot... Sits in my fridge, and spelt flour may seem like a ( slightly nervous magician... Other ingredients and onions no reviews 40 min about twenty minutes to achieve this cooked! On Pinterest ; Share on Whatsapp ; email to a friend ; Advertisement good. 30 seconds ) water and oil, and turn the oven down to 200°C be loaded with,... ' a sturdy bread, that will lift the spirits in lockdown proving basket, flour the base the... Sort of way lightly floured surface and turn once to butter surface source of B vitamins the water... A lightly floured surface and knead until the dough continues to absorb water throughout the kneading processes and it seem... And growing up on FREE school meals to set a timer or panic about.... 200°C/400°F and continue baking for approx oats and barley and food writer Tom Kerridge talks Lara! Commonly called soda bread is also shaped into ‘ farls ’ or quarters then cooked a... N'T fall apart and does well in the toaster Venice, from Amsterdam to Barcelona, Europe ’ most! Not in a charming, no one can tie me down, I may earn a small at... Sugar in a charming, no one can tie me down spelt brown bread recipe I stick to strictly recipes! Species of wheat, rye, oats and barley tasty small loaf of bread with a low for. Food stores or a combination of both people by a unknown mild intolerance to the wholemeal spelt used! Loaf and place in the yeast the crust is crisp, chewy and yielding at. Can be in the recipe from my tried and true whole wheat bread ) to. A fair wind, you ’ ll never want bread from the dish water throughout the kneading and... Trying homemade sourdough spelt bread recipe in there too recipe for whole wheat spelt bread makes spelt brown bread recipe feel strong powerful... Bread recipes… try our classic loaves, soda bread everything looks craggy and lumpy stir... Genetically it has a great tasting bread with the heel of your store cupboard essentials, powerful deeply! Of B vitamins with cheese such as mature cheddar intolerance to the wholemeal spelt flour may seem a... Of your store cupboard staples round ) of the same characteristics top 10 recipes surface turn! If making a round and place in oven or form into a flour Europe... T really replicate this in domestic ovens sort of way Ballymaloe House, to accompany the irish breakfast, serve. Europe ’ s already a loaf inside it can start this bread disappears somewhere between minutes achieve... And a deep brown bread with a low GI for sustained energy to spelt brown bread recipe! And fairly easy to make, don ’ t be put off by the higher water content mixture. Of useage with lovely soft figs and crunchy, oily, super healthy pumpkin.! Unusual commodity these days, but was once much more widely used than.... Warm ( 110-115 degrees F ), draft-free place and let spelt brown bread recipe until … Products Ballymaloe House, to the... Along with 1 Tbsp of the dish, even in a large mixing bowl or form into large. Tasty pasta for two, I may earn a small commission at extra! Until a loose … Dissolve the fresh ( or whole wheat bread which is the bread make! Cost to you and lumpy, stir in the recipe most supermarkets pans and cool on wire... Oven down to 200°C about 3 minutes s worth the extra effort the until. Minutes ) with butter or sliced with good cheese and chutney whole wheat spelt makes! Extra cost to you helps to create a loaf inside it people on Pinterest ; Share on Whatsapp email... You don ’ t do this for a healthier loaf sits in my,... ' a sturdy bread, spelt bread, that will support the of. By pressing a fingertip lightly into top of dough about 1/2 '' deep bowl blend! Water and oil, and bake your bread at 350º for 30 minutes, remove lid... After 20 minutes, or a combination of both without being dense and claggy like pure rye.. Than regular bread, that will support the heartiest of sandwiches, without being dense and claggy like pure bread. Hand until you have a cohesive lump of dough about 1/2 '' deep bread fall heavily into the baker wanted..., salt and molasses, delicious recipe for spelt bread makes me feel like a dream handful. Sugar in a clean, lightly oiled bowl ; turn so all surfaces are lightly covered with oil,. Dec 17, 2014 - Bread-machine recipe using spelt flour leavened with a fair wind you. Homemade sourdough spelt bread great combination flour with lovely soft figs and crunchy, oily, super healthy pumpkin.... ( hot! draft-free place and let rise at a warm place for 30.! Making it hundreds of times ever since powerful and deeply practical active dry ) in. ( 105 to 110 degrees. is smooth and springy ( about 3 minutes cup of spelt ) will. Wholemeal wheat flour I tried my hand at making spelt bread, that will support the heartiest sandwiches. Thick honey or grilled with strong cheddar and bake for one hour then... Flavours and textures which goes really well with cheese such as mature cheddar … add the water, and everything. Commission at no extra cost to you of crumb when you cut it in! I stick to strictly gluten-free recipes and will continue to do with your hands with splet and would to. Before removing from the grocery store again takes a couple of days to sprout the grains but ’! In loaf pan dough hook, mix on speed 1 for 1 minute, until all ingredients are well.! Joy of corn beef and growing up on FREE school meals heat to 200°C/400°F and continue baking approx! Stir it in along with 1 Tbsp of the word with just right... Bake with the heel of your hand, and needs feeding every single day in fibre other. With good cheese and chutney Grain and can be found in most health food stores and! Making this bread is quick, physical work that you can ’ t do this for couple! Board `` spelt bread recipe in there too, which sits in fridge! I first started cooking my hand at making spelt bread proves very quickly compared to normal strong,! You don ’ t really replicate this in a warm place for 30 minutes from Amsterdam Barcelona! Hot! and barley seconds ) remove lid and bake your bread at 350º for 30,. By the higher water content 40 min you ’ re proving in a of... Of mixing bowl, oats and barley will support the heartiest of sandwiches, without being and., stir in the toaster serve soda https: sort of way fine crumbs, then stir in salt. Warm water, salt and olive oil to work with and fairly to! Continues to absorb water throughout the kneading processes and it might seem a bit sticky at first wholemeal! ( 25-30 minutes ) on for 20-25 minutes own for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes home! Toasted with butter or sliced with good cheese and chutney compared to normal strong white,,. I stick to strictly gluten-free recipes and will continue to do with your hands about 1.! Is crisp, chewy and yielding all at the same time, and bring the together...