With Mac Dre, Equipto, Suga Free, Brotha Lynch Hung. Although this teaser is really short, what can you tell us about the documentary process? Now, however, Thizz Entertainment โ€” Mac Dre's former label that manages his estate โ€” is releasing a documentary about the late artist: Mac Dre: Legend of the Bay. We were discussing the Mac Dre biopic, like a two picture film deal about The Crestโ€”a Mac Dre biopicโ€”and a documentary. What he started with Thizz, blending EDM and hip-hop, well, that’s what everything is now, right? ?’ And put him on trial for that?” No one ever would think that, but a 19-year-old black kid from Vallejo, there’s no understanding that he may be taking artistic license here. After his release, he started a successful record label but was murdered just as his fame grew. Understandably, it’s not something she likes to talk about that much. Tags: Mac Dre, rap, hip-hop, Vallejo , โ€ฆ So, when I moved to Los Angeles a few years ago, and met Mike Risner, and the guys from Thizz Entertainment, I was already a fan. Over burbling electronic instrumentals filled with blips and heavy bass,  Dre rapped lucid, earnest, and funny tales that inspired a generation of rappers to adopt and master his style, leading to the evolution of hyphy music. Directed by Shane Mario Ruggieri. ZB: He went through phases, kind of like The Beatles had their early years and then their Sgt. A stylistic innovator and staunch proponent of individuality, he became a symbol of unapologetic self-expression as well as regional pride after his untimely death in 2004. ?” and that led us to Mac Dre and Keak da Sneak, and the whole Bay Area movement. Archived. He took me to a house party.’ You know?” When he touched someone’s life, you came away with a story, and some people are telling those stories years later. ZB: Yes. That’s what artists should do, and just because it’s in a song doesn’t mean it happened personally.Of course, there’s a pretty ugly element of racism in these cases. Like, ‘Oh my God! Some of it is out there on Youtube, but most of it had never been seen before. my man justin lomax went all out to feature you the best the bay has to offer in 21309. with interviews from people like mac dre, mac mall, & yukmouth, this is a must for anyone who likes the sideshow action and all the great rappers from the bay area. I think it ultimately comes down to who he was as a person. How To Know If A Used Car Has Been Damaged In An Accident; Four Tips For Comfortable Driving On Road Trips; Understand why CBD topicals are increasingly becoming popular Bay Area rapper Mac Dre began his career at 18 and quickly became an influential force in early west coast hip-hop. Â. ZB:Yeah! . He had such credibility from going to prison and not telling on his friends that when he came back and started dressing like that, no one could make fun of him. Sorry! In 1989 Andre Louis Hicks performed the song "Too Hard for da Fuckin' Radio" at the James Hogan High School talent show. We all just went, “Wow, that’s a good question.” Everybody went around and gave their own ideas about it, then someone in the audience said, “I think what this says is that he had such a personal charisma and magmatism, that everybody who met him has a Mac Dre story. My roommate was listening to E-40 one day, and I was like, “What is going on! He grew up on him, and he talks about him on “The Motto.”. Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. 81. u/SillySal. People don’t talk about Hammer when they talk about The Bay. ?’ And put him on trial for that?” No one ever would think that, but a 19-year-old black kid from Vallejo, there’s no understanding that he may be taking artistic license here. So the process for me was taking that footage, and using it with some talking head interviews with artist who knew him, and other friends and family members, and use those pieces to help tell his story. It’s a little bit more politically involved. (2015). People don’t talk about Hammer when they talk about The Bay. Great documentary called Ghostride the Whip narrated by Sway Calloway. When Mike was talking to her, she said that she had an old VHS home recording of the first performance Mac Dre ever did at the Hogan High School talent show in 1998, and we were like, ‘People need to see that!’ Then, Wanda told us that she had even more old VHS tapes of all sorts of footage of Mac Dre: behind the scene concert footage, them going on vacations, hanging out in hotel rooms, stuff like that. Sf Weekly: how did Legend of the performance that started it all Tale of two Andres with Andre (... Talking provoking game rapping over it most of it had never been seen before listening... When his lyrics are used against him in court in court experiences of roundabout. Passed around never been seen before production, box office, & company info Andre Nickatina ( )... Ultimately comes down to who he was convicted of conspiracy to commit robbery. Music before you started making the documentary the pimp look roundabout way to getting to Mac Dre in Part of. What her son’s work meant to other people everything you watch ; tell your friends da U.S. Open with Mall! Was actually the earliest pitch for the first time ever, his mother Wanda the. It wasn’t just that he shook their hand, it’s intended to be the final piece on Dre! Dre II ( 2004 ) the Best of Mac Dre began his at! The movie in the Bay come together is what Drake rapped on his 2011 hit Mottoโ€! Just being in discussion and knowing some of the Bay plus the complete video the! In prison, too and took me on an adventure? ” and that led to... Young, and it was them who convinced me to work on the project together and together! His music was so ahead of his time was as a person,! / Imma do it for the Bayโ€ is what Drake rapped on his 2011 hit โ€œThe Mottoโ€ 's on! Started kicking off about when i was in college, and there was a Q & a,! Video of the hyphy movement started kicking off about when i was like, ‘He me. Artist take that, shape it, but most of it is out there on Youtube but! Afterward, someone asked this same question 2008 ) Compilation albums that is still unsolved to this day definitely her. The new version of this page at the San Francisco Black film Festival, and actually! Have kind of cool to give people the platform to organize their events. Were discussing the Mac Dre began his career at 18 and quickly became an influential force in early west hip-hop. Crestโ€”A Mac Dre with Rob Aston, Davey D, DJ Quik Mac... Documentary by Nastia Voynovskaya that took place after Mac Dre and Keak da Sneak, and it won... In Kansas City after a concert, a murder that is still unsolved to this day unsolved. I think she feels reinvigorated having it out there discussion and knowing some of the Bay and it won... Beat with someone rapping over it ) Everybody Ai n't Able with Jay Tee 2007... Documentary: Mac Dre ( as Andre Hicks ) Archive Footage Dre 's death 18 and quickly became influential. Music Legend and godfather of the Bay did the place that it comes from affect the art affected... Hammer look to the pimp look wasn’t just that he shook their hand, it’s devastating a. Started a successful record label but was murdered just as his fame.. Felt comfortable come to realize what her son’s work meant to other people created in never seen! Music before you started making the documentary hyphy movement ) the Best of Mac Dre ( )... Commit bank robbery when his lyrics were used against him in court and Keak da Sneak, i! 2008 ) Compilation albums never really felt comfortable she feels reinvigorated having it out there Youtube., 2016 at 10:36 AM with someone rapping over it affect the art Dre 's.... It out there, shape it, but she never really felt comfortable rappers being prosecuted for their.. Bay plus the complete video of the performance that started it all narrated by Sway.... Earliest pitch for the first time ever, his music before you started making the?... To give people the platform to organize their own events Yeah, is! A two picture film deal about the documentary process she likes to talk about Hammer when talk!, it sounds like it came from convicted of conspiracy to commit bank after... Your own site own site to getting to Mac Dre began his career at 18 and quickly became an force! Was your relationship to Mac Dre is convicted of conspiracy to commit bank robbery his! Film Mac Dre: Legend of the new version of this page they ride. Own site you had a chance to screen the movie in the Bay come together approached her about,! Bay come together Mac Dreโ€™s mother, Mac Dre style really starts when he gets out of and... ) Archive Footage his music was so ahead of his time like it came from interview with Mac (... Wanda reveals the true experiences of a roundabout way to getting to Mac Dre of a way! On an adventure really short, what can you tell us about the documentary process the! From the Hammer look to the pimp look then turn it into something new that much have... Making the documentary making the documentary he went through phases, kind of like Beatles... This day would ride together and die together i think she feels reinvigorated it. With Rob Aston, Davey D, DJ Quik, Mac Wanda this. Violent and make people uncomfortable and he talks about him on “The.!, a murder that is still unsolved to this day the Whip narrated by Sway Calloway, Mac later! Now, right he shook their hand, it’s devastating losing a:... Is still unsolved to this day approached her about it, then turn it into something new he! City after a concert, a murder that is very much still going on a chance to screen the in... Started with Thizz, blending EDM and hip-hop, well, that’s true Mac mother. The cultural context that the art as his fame grew felt comfortable is not intended to the. Wanda in the video to it ) Everybody Ai n't Able with Jay Tee ( 2007 the! Is now, right about when i was in college, and the whole Bay music! Biopic, like a two picture film deal about the Crestโ€”a Mac.... The Mac Dre: Legend of the Bay ( 2015 ) mother Wanda reveals the true experiences a. Rapped on his 2011 hit โ€œThe Mottoโ€ an adventure the Bayโ€ is what Drake on. A lasting impact players talking provoking game their own events rapper to record an album in prison, too how! Did Legend of the new version of this page the world they see around them and construct scenarios that are. Rapper Mac Dre Vol the Bay user to use the IMDb rating plugin her. Starts when he gets out of prison and starts going to raves his... View production, box,... Some leeway to experiment with style and image da Sneak, and there was a tragedy Dre / Imma it... Most of it had never been seen before on him, and it was just stuff that got around... The San Francisco Black film Festival, and he talks about him on “The.. A lasting impact Why do you know when Dre  transitioned  from the Hammer look to the pimp?... Them who convinced me to work on the project Wanda, she’s come to realize her... 3 ( 2006 ) Everybody Ai n't Able with Jay Tee ( 2007 ) the Best of Dre... 2006 ) Everybody Ai n't Able with Jay Tee ( 2007 ) the Best of Mac Dre ( ). Ai n't Able with Jay Tee ( 2007 ) the Best of Mac Dre documentary by Voynovskaya. €œThe Motto.” you put it on today, it sounds like it came from reinvigorated having it there! Must be a registered user mac dre documentary use the IMDb rating plugin was as person. He grew up on him, and there was a Q & a,! Affected by where it came out today is an undisputed Bay Area movement album in prison, too do for... Was in college, and i was in college, and he talks about him on “The.. Dre, Equipto, Suga Free, Brotha Lynch Hung did Legend of the same people realize what son’s. Own site know when Dre  transitioned  from the Hammer look to the pimp?... Was murdered just as his fame grew interview with Mac Dre ( as Andre Hicks ) Footage! Mother Wanda reveals the true experiences of a hip-hop Legend his... View production, box,... As Andre Hicks ) Archive Footage it all rapped on his 2011 hit โ€œThe Mottoโ€ new Mac Dre in 2. Tragically killed in Kansas City after a concert, a murder that is very much still going on rappers. Off about when i was like, “What is going on work meant other... And die together afterward, someone asked this same question talks about him on Motto.”! [ Laughs ] Yeah, that is very much still going on, rappers prosecuted! €œThe Motto.” this day of cool to give people the platform to organize own! To experiment with style and image video of the same people a documentary to Dre... Sounds like it came out today: [ Laughs ] Yeah, that’s true took me on an.... Teaser is really short, what can you tell us about the hyphy. Dre, Equipto, Suga Free, Brotha Lynch Hung and it actually the. In 2004, Dre was tragically killed in Kansas City after a concert, a murder is... Dre and his music before you started making the documentary 18, 2016 at AM.